Mr Cue

Sunday Smash Burgers

Mrs. Cue wanted some sliders today but I couldn't find any slider buns at the store. So smash burgers it is! Not just any smash burger though, these are brat smash burgers! I had a pound of uncased Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage that I was going to use in my fattie but had to repurpose because someone used up all my bacon. So, 1 pound of sausage to 1 1/2 pounds of fresh ground 80/20, my CI bacon weight, and a screaming hot griddle turned out some tasty burgers. I smashed the balled up pork-burger with the weight and threw a little butter on towards the end.

While the burgers sizzled away, a diced sweet onion was caramelizing in the CI skillet with butter and some Johnny Fleeman's Steak Marinade. I sliced up a nice beefsteak tomato and some Claussen pickles to finish the toppings off. Just before pulling, a slice of American cheese was draped over the sizzling patty. A few handfuls of Checker's seasoned fries cooked up in the Dutch oven and rounded out the meal, a diner style burger with the best seasoned fries you can get in a bag. Easy enough after a long, hot day!

DSC_0438_zpsdb493b1f.jpg

Use what you've got and make a prize burger; love it.  That's great caramelization on the burger, looks like.  Is anyone else having trouble finding a good bun that holds up to a juicy burger?  I don't like the really large buns, and have been using Ball Park because they're a decent size, but they mash down quite a bit.

I bought some ballpark buns last week and they were great. I toast my buns to help hold up to the juices. I really love French bread buns though, fresh baked from a good bakery is best. Toast them and you're good to go. That patty melt burger I made a few weeks ago held up nicely, I used Texas Toast garlic bread as the buns and they were excellent. I almost felt bad eating all that bread but it was soooooo good!

Kara, you are right about too much bread, but I like your idea of using mayo to toast.  We usually do toast our buns, and I have tried different recipes for making my own, including brioche, but nothing that worked consistently.  The pretzel buns look good but are a bit too chewy, etc. etc.  Fortunately my husband and I do not like really thick burgers, so the Ball Park buns work for now.  However, I'm always checking the bakery areas of the local stores for other alternatives...

Kara, you are right about too much bread, but I like your idea of using mayo to toast. We usually do toast our buns, and I have tried different recipes for making my own, including brioche, but nothing that worked consistently. The pretzel buns look good but are a bit too chewy, etc. etc. Fortunately my husband and I do not like really thick burgers, so the Ball Park buns work for now. However, I'm always checking the bakery areas of the local stores for other alternatives...

I thought the cheese was there to protect the bread. Melt the cheese into the bread rather than the burger.

I thought the cheese was there to protect the bread. Melt the cheese into the bread rather than the burger.

That's an option, I suppose. I like to put the cheese slices directly on the meat and give them just another 30 seconds in the grill so that the cheese oozes down over the meat. It also makes leftover patties easier - meat and cheese go in the fridge together and come out together.