BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

Chuck Roast: The Brisket Alternative

Great video with some explanation that helps me understand something I didn't know, specifically why to start the meat on the grate and then remove to foil or a pan.  I did a pot roast yesterday and left it in the shallow cast iron pan the whole time braising in its own juices, adding vegetables later.  No fuss, no mess on the grate, good smoke flavor.  That's just how it works for me.

I cooked 4 chuck roasts yesterday and it might just be the best thing I've ever made on my Kamado (Vision Grill). Given this, I may never cook a brisket again!

I used some of the recipes on here as a basic guideline, but made a few tweeks. Here's how I did it.

Total cook time was about 8 hours (this includes 30 minutes to get grill going, about 5.5 hour cook, followed by a 2 hour rest in an insulated cooler)

The chuck roasts I used were about 4.5lbs each, choice grade (from Costco)

Basic steps were;

• Coat meat with oil (I used canola), then apply rub to meat, place in large ziploc bag and put in fridge for about 12 hours. The rub I used was the "Big Bad Beef Rub" from amazingribs.com
  • Start grill, let temp get up to 300
  • Throw a handful of soaked hickory chips on the fire, then put your heat diffuser (plate setter for you egg heads) in place.
  • Put drip pan with about 1" of water on lower rack, and with themo-probe in meat, place meat directly on upper grill.
  • Keep grill temp around 275 for the entire cook.
  • Once the meat gets up to 160F, place the meat in a grill safe pan (I just used one of those disposable aluminum ones) and add "liquid" into pan until level is about 3/4 up the side of the meat. My "liquid" consisted of some Campbell's French onion soup (made with two cans of water instead of just one as the Campbell's directions said) along with one cup of red wine.
  • When meat reaches 180, flip meat in the pan (taking care not to immerse your temp probe wires in the liquid).
  • Cook meat to 203, remove from grill and cover pan tightly with hvy duty foil and place in an insulated cooler for no less than 2 hours. Best to stuff any open areas in the cooler with old towels as this will really help the meat stay hot. This is one of the most important steps in my opinion...in order to get super tender/juicy meat.
  • After two hours in the cooler, pour off the juices into a gravy separator.
  • Rough chop (or slice) meat and place in bowl. Pour separated liquid/juices onto meat and stir (discarding grease/fat from separator obviously).

Enjoy. It make superbs sandwhiches, tacos or eaten plain. Sorry I didn't take any photos.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By burnt_ends
      Hi, I followed the steps in this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm-nm4Z7wA&t=15s
      and I my brisket turned out dry and dense. I'm hoping you can tell me where I went wrong:
      - ~5.5 lbs (pre-trimmed) of Prime Angus grain fed brisket point from https://shalhoob.com/butcher-shop - trimmed as much of the silver skin off as I could - trimmed off hard fat and tried to leave 1/8" to 1/4" of fat - seasoned 24 hours prior to cook with 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt - used Kamado Joe lump charcoal and two medium chucks of mesquite hardwood - ambient outside temperature was low-mid 80s - waited until grill came up to temp and smoke was mostly clear before putting meat on - put meat on fat side down - cooked in Classic III using sloroller, on the lower level rack - cooked with water pan on grill - used Thermopro two probe digital thermometer (1 probe at grill level, 1 probe in thickest part of brisket) - grill temp ranged between 245-270, but mostly 250-260 - took ~6.5 hrs to get to 170 internal temp - wrapped in foil at 172 - took ~1.5 hrs to get to 203  - at ~203 a wood shish kabob skewer did go through meat, but still felt a little resistance. At this point I pulled it b/c I was concerned about over cooking - kept in foil, wrapped in towel, put in cooler for 1.5 hrs
      The brisket had bark and a smoke ring. Pencil thin slice passed pull test. But it was dry and dense.  The attached photos are from the day after the cook and the meat is cold.

Where do I go wrong?

Thanks!!

• By ret42
      Yesterday I smoked my first brisket with the Joe. I've smoked briskets before in my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES henceforth) and they were phenomenal. This one turned out with great taste, but I know I could have done a lot better in terms of texture. The bark was nice and crispy which I loved, but it came out a little tough. I've identified several differences in the process I followed on the MES, but I always want to learn from the best so I welcome all input - suggestions, constructive criticism, etc.

MES vs Joe:
      Flat and Fat Cap on MES vs just the Flat on the Joe (I don't think the briskets I smoked on the MES were full briskets - they weighed in from 7 to 10 lbs, and the one I smoked yesterday on the Joe was just over 5) Drip Pan filled with water (coffee, actually) in MES vs no added moisture on Joe Texas Crutch after 4 hours on MES vs all grill time on Joe Brushed with Mop Sauce pretty frequently on MES vs untouched on Joe Wood chips on MES vs wood chunks on Joe (doubt this contributed, but wanted to capture it) Internal Temp 195 on MES vs 200 on Joe 5-6 hours on MES vs 7-8 on Joe
      Those are the differences I can recall. The MES produced a much more tender brisket, but the bark wasn't crispy at all, and borderline soggy in some places. This makes sense given the drip pan, the aluminum foil and the basting.  My hope is that I can somehow obtain that perfect bark and a more tender bite. 

Pictures: 
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc2f33hb5wdw45b/Photo May 13%2C 21 34 51.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygztvqmf8fr4s4e/Photo May 15%2C 20 42 37.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/f98piayfayfiwet/Photo May 18%2C 13 28 57.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1hw9javhe95hzw/Photo May 18%2C 14 18 49.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqbr19g9eu1jtoo/Photo May 18%2C 21 31 20.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1wp3bqz77rhqcz/Photo May 18%2C 21 33 01.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/5klzyxjqpfnnipm/Photo May 18%2C 22 23 57.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqylt8z02fgpcb/Photo May 18%2C 22 26 31.jpg?dl=0

• By BBQ_Princess
      Morning Everyone. 

First, this forum has been great for getting tips and learning how to cook on my Kamado Joe. So far I’ve successfully made pizza, beef ribs, and chicken which have all
      been amazing.

I want to smoke a brisket for mother’s day and have learned the how’s and what to dos but what I don’t know is how much charcoal do I use?  I haven’t bought the brisket yet but I’m assuming this will be a 8-10 hour smoke. I just want to make sure I have enough coal to keep the fire going. 

Also, do you wrap your brisket half way through or no?  

Thanks in advance!!!
    • By R5Ryder
      Grill = Akorn.  Temp control by TipTopTemp.  No leaks.  Probes = Thermoworks Smoke and Thermopen MK4.  I've confirmed that the probes are accurate, and there was no obstructions on the pit probe.

Put on a 16lb Packer (probably a few pounds less after trimming) at midnight.  According to the Smoke's graphs, the pit temp held between 215-235 all night.

The brisket hit the stall after only 3 hours of cooking, so IT of 160 by 3AM.  When I woke up to make some pit adjustments (it jumped to around 250 at 6AM, probably when the sun came up and the TTT compensated for change in ambient temp) the  meat was already at around 180, so I'm wrapping in butcher paper, however it's going to be finished  - including resting - in under 12 hours, which just doesn't seem right.

Had I wrapped when the stall hit, that would have been at 3AM, and maybe it would have been done around 8.  How is that even possible for a 16lb packer?  Everything was timed so that it would be done (including rest) in around 16 hours, though obviously every piece of meat is different.  I would not have expected a piece to be THIS different though.

• By Ryno656
      So we were having a small get-together this year for Thanksgiving and I decided to go away from the traditional turkey since we're more partial to ham and beef, anyway. I went to Costco on Tuesday night, grabbed a 14lb prime brisket (before trim), and prepped it late Wednesday night with only salt and pepper around midnight as the smoker came to temp. Threw it on the Big Joe fat side down (to add another layer of protection from the heat below) at 1am at 225 and let it go.

I woke up around 7:30 and the temp apparently held steady, but it did so at 215 so the stall was a bit lower than I've heard elsewhere -- it stalled around 148 instead of 160-165ish. No problem, I opened the top vent and brought the temp to 285 and the internal temp started to creep up a for a few hours, but we were planning on eating around 2-3 so I needed to speed it along soon if it didn't break the stall. A couple hours later, around noon, I realized there was no way it was going to be done in time, so I wrapped in foil and threw it back on. About 2:00 it was probing tender at 208 and ready to pull. Wrapped in a couple towels, placed in a cooler, and made the short 40 minute drive to the family feast.

All in all, I should have thrown it on about an hour earlier and set the temp at 250 instead of 225. I feel like it dropped to 215 for too long so at the stall the fat didn't render as well as I was wanting, but everyone thought it was amazing, and I'm not really going to complain for my first time. It was moist and juicy, I just made a few noobie mistakes/oversights this time, but can't wait to smoke another! Pics below: