New owner, 1/8" gap in gasket

matt321

Just put my grill together and fired it  up S model from HomeDepot.  I noticed smoke coming out of the side where the lid meets the lower portion of the grill.  There is actually a 1/8" by 12" gap where i can see through to the other side of the grill.  Even with the bottom and top vents closed, the grill only dropped from 350 to 324 in 2 hours.

Has anyone experienced something like this?  Is there something I can do?

I've attached a picture which doesn't do the size of the gap justice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

post-5576-0-85365600-1403923702_thumb.jp

matt321, 

Is it just the photo, or is there a depression it the lip of your kettle at the spot of the gap. It may just be the light shining on that spot. The top gasket looks true, but the bottom one just seems to fall away, creating the gap. If it follows a depression in the lip, I don't think any adjustment will fix it. Take a look at it. and let us know what you see. 

If you really want to try to adjust it ,you can try to loosen both bands . Don't undo the bolts completely !  Then push down on the lid and see if you can get it to fit better . That's a bout all you can do then tighten it back up .  I included a picture so you can see I do this twice a year when I move my grill in and out of my island.

post-2008-0-79630400-1404050420_thumb.jp

Here's what I'd do ... I'd call (not email, call) Laurie at Vision HQ.  If their solution is ANYTHING other than "We'll ship you a complete, new cooker and arrange to have the defective one hauled off at our expense" I'd simply thank her for her time, then I'd take the defective one back to HD, return the defective one and take a new one home with me.

It's just me, and I am a person with little tolerance for things that are defective right out of the box, but I'd not mess with trying to get a fix from HQ or adjusting the bands to try to make fit that which MUST fit for your cooker to work as it should ... 

Good Luck ...

Here's what I'd do ... I'd call (not email, call) Laurie at Vision HQ.  If their solution is ANYTHING other than "We'll ship you a complete, new cooker and arrange to have the defective one hauled off at our expense" I'd simply thank her for her time, then I'd take the defective one back to HD, return the defective one and take a new one home with me.

It's just me, and I am a person with little tolerance for things that are defective right out of the box, but I'd not mess with trying to get a fix from HQ or adjusting the bands to try to make fit that which MUST fit for your cooker to work as it should ... 

Good Luck ...

While I agree it should,work out of the box, I would try to tighten up the alignment by loosening the bands first. If that fails I would follow the above advice.

Just loosen the bolts and nuts, don't remove ,yes they will spin if you try to use only 1 wrench , I would try to loosen just the top band first.  In my picture you can see how stretched out the band is so you can have an idea how much pressure the band is under.  These things are shipped half way around the world ,so it is possible that it has come out of alignment.    

Thanks for all the advice!

I called Lauri on Friday at 5:00 PM and missed her reply call at 5:30.  I'll call her again this morning when they get it.

I took the springs off (left the hinges in place) and it seemed to fit a little better.  I'm willing to work with them to try and resolve this since getting the thing on my deck with the help of my 90 lbs wife wasn't easy and I don't want to repeat the process 2 more times.

I would assume that they put the lit on in the factory, align the top and  bottom and then put the band, hinges and springs on.  The problem with this method is that it doesn't take the thickness and imperfections in the gasket into consideration.  There are chips in the finish where the banks are located so they may have had issues with this one at the factory.

I'll let you know what happens and post pictures of any adjustments if they are successful.

It looks like everyone was correct to some degree:

I spoke with someone in customer support who suggested loosening the bands and hinge mounts to readjust the lid.  Unfortunately, I noticed that two if the nuts on the hinge mount were stripped.  Since the bolts are welded to the band, there wasn't much I could do.

Vision said that they would  send me out the two new bands next week though.

I also mentioned that the mounts on the springs seemed to be at different heights and they may want to send out a new hinge anyway, but no word on if that might be the problem yet.

Ralph Redundant here, and I do promise not to mention this again, but - were I you (and I am certain that all who know you and love you are giddy beyond belief that I'm not!!) - I would (right now) be digging out my receipt, loading that puppy into my car/truck/van/whatever in whatever condition it might currently be and trucking it right on back to the fine folks at Home Depot for at least an exchange (if you want to try Vision Grills Quality Control - Take Two) or a refund.

That many serious problems with a brand new unit would be what, back in the day, we used to call "a clue".

Best Wishes - honestly - whichever direction you decide to go ... whether you choose to make the defective product their problem or decide to let them make it yours...