hrmbbq

The Kick Ash Basket Review

another thing for me to order!  man!

bosco - that basket is a knock-off of what comes standard on the KK.  I can tell you that after using the KK charcoal basket, the KICK ASH must be worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!  Get one and you'll never look back!   :good:

I love my kick ash basket and find that it really takes most of the mess and work out of cleaning out the grill. I use mine in a Large BGE and set it on top of my stock grate. I would say that even with the stock grate in place, the ash basket improves airflow by holding the lump up and off the grate holes. I can not honestly remember where I read it, possibly the egg forum, but several guys were talking about the danger of using the ash basket or other grill type grates with out the stock grate. The reason was that the larger spaces between the grates, as opposed to the holes in the standard CI grate, allowed larger than normal pieces of lump to fall through hit the base bottom and bounce out the ash door if it was used without a screen. One guy stated that his wooden deck was charred and smoking from a ember like chunk of lump that bounced out of his fire box. I always use my ash screen because I cook on a deck as well. However, all the pictures of Joe's that I have seen have an open vent without a screen. (do Joe's come with an ash screen for safety ?) Based on that observation, If I had a Joe I would use the basket on top of my stock grate and not as a stand alone. Just my two cents.

Ok. Got my kab today. I found it was not nearly deep enough for the amount of charcoal in my grill. Maybe I use too much. Ive always filled to 4 inches from the top per primo recommendations. It held about half.

I thought the KAB Value is to sift the ash outside of the kamado & make cleaning easier, not serve as a lump repository?

Correct??

Mine fits neatly in the firebowl but it does not come up to the top of the fire bowl. I just fill the bowl like normal and it is above the top of the basket. After a cook the lump is cooked down and the basket works as advertised.

I thought the KAB Value is to sift the ash outside of the kamado & make cleaning easier, not serve as a lump repository?

Correct??

Not correct ... The function of the basket is to hold your lump inside your Kamado while it burns. The theory is that, after all has cooled, you simply lift the basket out of the Kamado, shake it around to lose the ash, and then put it back to be refilled and used again.

While I remain essentially pleased with mine, it does reduce the amount of lump that can be loaded into the firebox. It has thus seemed more difficult for me to get "turbo level" temps, but I am also using a new type of lump, so that may also enter into the equation.

Correct??

Not correct ... The function of the basket is to hold your lump inside your Kamado while it burns. The theory is that, after all has cooled, you simply lift the basket out of the Kamado, shake it around to lose the ash, and then put it back to be refilled and used again.

While I remain essentially pleased with mine, it does reduce the amount of lump that can be loaded into the firebox. It has thus seemed more difficult for me to get "turbo level" temps, but I am also using a new type of lump, so that may also enter into the equation.

What do you mean by turbo temps?