Frontier All Natural Mesquite Lump

Well I was struggling to find Royal Oak for the first time and bought a small bag of this to try.. Cowboy is a no no for me.. Opened the bag and looks like nice med size pieces, anyone tried this in a kamado.. How was it as far flavor, heat and taste.. Thanks. 

I realized some will disagree, but I've found that mesquite charcoal imparts no particular flavor profile from the charcoal itself.  It's use of mesquite wood chunks or chips or cooking over a fire of mesquite wood that imparts the flavor profile some find unpleasant.

I used Frontier Natural Hardwood lump yesterday, sorry not mesquite, and it worked out very well. It had a moderate amount of sparks but not too bad.  The smoke flavor wasn't too strong.  I'm partial to KJ lump as I feel it has a mild flavor (if you will).  The Frontier flavor was a little bit more pronounced but the burn characteristics were good. 

I used Frontier Natural Hardwood lump yesterday, sorry not mesquite, and it worked out very well. It had a moderate amount of sparks but not too bad.  The smoke flavor wasn't too strong.  I'm partial to KJ lump as I feel it has a mild flavor (if you will).  The Frontier flavor was a little bit more pronounced but the burn characteristics were good. 

Thank you and I hope the whole making wood to charcoal process is the same for this.. 

I realized some will disagree, but I've found that mesquite charcoal imparts no particular flavor profile from the charcoal itself.  It's use of mesquite wood chunks or chips or cooking over a fire of mesquite wood that imparts the flavor profile some find unpleasant.

Glad to hear, have never used mesquite lump charcoal not exactly sure if I have ever used frontier either. I actually really like the flavor of mesquite wood on a smoker that is well dialed in.. Its the one wood I never want to be far from the exhaust when running thin blue as I love the smell.. Hope this is decent stuff it appears to be.. 

I'm with you on this, ICDEDTURKES.  I often use mesquite chunks to impart that specific, hard to describe, mesquite flavor to fish, beef and chicken.  It's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but a piece of mesquite grilled fish, properly seasoned and cooked on thin blue smoke, is delicious.

I started 2 6lb Butts at 7am in the stickburner.. Plan was after 4 hrs to transfer them to the Akorn.. Today I was running out of Royal Oak in the Akorn and dipped into this bag.. Once I got in there is a lot of tiny pieces.. I also dove into a bag of Frontier Hickory chips... I fired up the akorn about 10am and something smells off.. It is not a mesquite smell.. It smells as if someone is in the Kamado smoking a big stogie.. Not quite sure if its the charcoal or the frontier chips.. 

I am really holding off on putting the butts in there.. I am gonna wait until the smell either clears up or if I run behind and have to foil they will go in there.. 

^^^ This ^^^ I use Lazzari mesquite lump all the time. I used it (with some peach wood) on the chicken I cooked on my 6th of July party. Most of my quest were saying it was the best they've ever had.

Jeff, thanks for that input as I was shopping around today for a replacement for my Royal Oak, which seems to have a LOT of smoke starting out, so thought I'd try something different.  I have seen the Lazzari in a local store so I'll pick some up.  More and more I'm understanding the importance of a good lump charcoal, not just relying on the wood chunks for flavor.