Sign in to follow this  
TurboRiggle

Any advice on smoking 2 briskets at once?

I have a little over a 5 lb. and a 2.5 lb. brisket and I want to smoke both at the same time. Would my cook time be based on the larger brisket or would my cooking time be based on 7.5 lbs? Any advice is welcomed. I have done many rib smokes, but this will be first brisket.

Thanks much and Happy 4th of July!

If it were me I would consider them two different cook times, but you won't want to go by time anyway, just by internal temp., which will be reached at a different time for each size brisket piece you have.  As each one reaches 190-200, you will want to probe for tenderness, remove when it's like butter, and foil to rest.  Most likely you only have one meat probe, so I would put it in the smaller piece first.  Be sure to use a diffuser and a drip pan for best results.  Have a great brisket cook and let us know how it turns out.

Time to cook is only a general guideline - they're done when they're done, not when the clock says it is.

you'll want to pull the smaller one when it reaches temp (around 200), wrap in foil and put in a cooler while the larger one finishes.

this is the best guide I've found for smoking brisket:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

So, the 2.5 pound brisket took about 5 hours 10 minutes and the 5.1 pound brisket took about 7 hours.  This picture is of the larger brisket, which was more moist and just about perfect.  Nobody was asking for sauce.  Thanks for the great advice!

post-4691-0-88560900-1404698696_thumb.jp

Here is a pic of 2 16 pounders on my Akorn.  Every couple of months we do a brisket lunch at work and i cram 2 big briskets on the Akorn.  I get it setup around 250 degrees at around 9pm then go to bed and they are usually done around 6am.

post-294-0-49985900-1404764074_thumb.jpg