cropduster

IKEA Fantast BBQ Thermometer

So I read somewhere that IKEA sold a small, digital BBQ thermometer. Not wireless receiver/transmitter type, but a simple, compact digital thermometer/timer combination.

Let me qualify this from the get go, I work for IKEA and have for quite a long time so I know what is schlock and what is value for money. There is a lot of both. This one is is about the best value for money in a decent, simple, accurate digital BBQ thermometer. If all you want out of a BBQ thermometer is to tell what the target temp. is and what the actual temp. is, along with an audible alarm when the target temp. is reached. Then look no further and spend no more then $6.99. This one is it.

It is called FANTAST and it's name suits it's performance.

I have several wireless BBQ thermometers, the most costly is a Maverick 732, which I have found to be accurate, when it works right...which is not frequent. The cost of this IKEA Fantast is less then half the cost of a replacement probe for the Maverick 732. I have 2-3 of the ones Walmart sells which are identical to the Master Forge ones that Lowes sells for $30 and Walmart for $16. While I'll take those over the Maverick for colder weather or long smokes, this new IKEA Fantast will be the go too for my signature spatchcock chicken and other shorter cooks in fair, warmer weather.

I also Googled the thing and found a review where the guy bought and tested 5-6 at a time inserting the probes into the same pot of boiling water. All 6 hit 212F at exactly the same time.

It's small, perhaps slightly smaller then a pack of smokes and thinner. Plastic case back with an on/off/timer switch and battery hatch and a small fold out metal stand. It is wrapped around the edge with an easy to grip rubber and the front controls are simple to use and work easily.

I tested it with a 5lb. Ovenstuffer that I spatchcocked and rubbed with Janes Greek Seasoning along with some Salt Lick rub. I put one AAA battery in it and set the target for 170 and threw the bird on the CG Akorn.

I maintained about 355 for the entire cook and removed the bird the moment it hit 170F and the IKEA thermometer started beeping. I let the bird rest for fifteen minutes and let the redskins and onions with olive oil brown a bit more.

It was a most excellent dinner.

Bottom line, I am going back to get about 4-5 more of these little guys for $6.99 each les my 15% staff discount. I am leaving one or two at my beach house and keeping the rest at home.

Also, makes a great, reasonably priced gift for any BBQ buddies.

Try one out. Hard to miss for the price. Not available online and gougers are selling them on eBay for 3Xs what they cost. If you live near an IKEA, I suggest grabbing one or two.

post-144-13756507357571_thumb.jpg

It's not for sale on the IKEA website:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406/

I stand corrected,Sir and edited accordingly.

I think it looks good but I wonder about the temp range it can handle based on the specs from IKEA..

"Batteries is sold separately; 1 pc LR03 AAA size 1.5V battery required.

Measures temperatures up to 266°F/130°C.

The cord is heat-resistant up to 428°F/220°C."

Ray

Great review! Off topic but is the $16.00 Wally World digital thermometer not half-bad?

I like it. I bought 2 of them and so far so good. I like it better the then the Maverick 732, which in my opinion now is an overpriced, bulky POS. I would take 5-6 of the IKEAs or 2 of the Walmarts over the Maverick on any given cook/day!

Does the wally world one measure ambient temp?

No, only internal food temp. But it does have quite a few features and you can set "doneness" as in rare,medium rare,medium, well done etc... for a variety of meats, fish and poultry. It is identical to this Master Forge that Lowes sells for $30:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23557-14488-SBQ ... 02&state=R

Looks good but it seems a little weird that they are only available as a walk-in item at a very small chain of stores. Who makes them for IKEA?

I don't know who the supplier is. Made in China of course. They apparently upgraded it from last year by adding an On/Off switch to the back. The original model required removal of the battery to turn it off/on.

I bought a couple to try them out one for pit temp the other for food temp. Kind of bad that they will only go up to 266, guess I won't be using it for any bakes or higher temp cooks. They are accurate though tested them out with a candy thermometer for a control and they were spot on to the old school candy thermometer.

Decided to buy five more. One for the beach house, a spare for home and a few as gifts. The other thing I like that did not point out: for those of you that own the Akorn CGK, this little therm. has a small but strong magnet on the back as well as the stand. You can stick this on the lid and it frees up both shelves and streamlines opening and closing the lid with the probe wire out of the way.