Decided to upgrade my aging 10 year old Weber Bullet to something bigger and nicer.

Behold the Kamado Joe BigJoe:

Vs3K5Ie.jpg

Prior to receipt of the grill I had done some research on DIY tables and materials. Obviously that resulted in a large gamut ranging from indoor stud quality pine to exotic hardwoods. Since this was going to live outside, I wanted something better than pine and the materials had to be available from Home Depot or Lowes since I was building this on a holiday weekend and both places are close to the house.

I liked the look of the oak tables I found online, but HD doesn't carry the larger sizes such as 12/4 or 16/4. So I decided on pressure treated for the support members and oak 1x6 for the surfaces.

Mistake #1: I attached the 1x4 and 2x4 pieces directly to the 4x4 by squaring up the ends starting from the bottom. The end result is that the front top is about 3/8" wider than the rest (had to a cut a new longer 2x4 piece). If I had made 2 box frames first, everything would have lined up square. Here's the start of the main structural pieces. 

QsanoDA.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pics so I'm pretty much jumping to the end.

Installing the lower slats with pavers in place:

CDxDfD1.jpg

Cut grill opening with jigsaw (28" diameter):

Y5cMjRn.jpg

Done with the woodworking, except for the front center piece. I haven't decided if I want to put a piece of oak slat there or extend the pavers to the edge to protect the wood from hot ashes. The table is 6 ft wide by 34" deep. 

vl6SMld.jpg

And the mostly finished end result. Still need to finish staining the legs.

h8ohDCn.jpg

I miscalculated the height of the rear hinge and the included 1" ceramic feet didn't allow the hinge to clear the table top. I could have notched out the rear slat but the rear 2x4 support would also have to be notched out. Since I wanted to use the grill on Saturday I took the easy way out and bought some bricks to use as feet so I wouldn't have to cut any more wood. I might go back later and revise the feet or do something with the wood to allow the hinge to clear.

NjCdv2F.jpg

h6nCqSu.jpg

YFyhcqI.jpg

KG8UyjA.jpg

axs4i3D.jpg

I welcome feedback on solutions for the hinge or feet. Or if you think it's fine as is I'd like to know. Here is a scale dimensional drawing showing the spacing and 17" height allotted for the grill. Overall I'm happy with the results since I'm not a woodworker (I'm an electrical engineer).  

dE6K3Ol.jpg

Very nice table build. I like it very much. actually, I like your use of bricks for the feet even though you look at it like a mistake that needs to be fixed. Their was quite a discussion on the BGE forum and on Naked Whiz about the fire safety of placing a kamado directly on a paver block which is resting on a wood base. The discussion arose after a significant house fire that started on some guys BGE wooden table, after he put his egg to bed, and went to bed himself.  Some guys in response and  after only months of use, reportedly looked under their paver bases and found significant charing of the wood beneath it. Other guys got quite into the investigation and used heat reading guns and the like to measure the heat transfer from the paver to the wood. I can't remember the exact details, but the bottom line was that a paver regardless of thickness resting on wood presented a fire danger. The number one solution was to raise the kamado up on legs or a table nest. This, it was explained,  creates an air space beneath the bottom surface of the kamado and the paver. This was said to provide significant insulation that greatly increased fire safety. I think by accident , you have done exactly that. If you want it to look nicer maybe you can find a table nest of some sort to raise it up and hold it off the pavers. I think BGE makes one for the XL, I don't know if KJ makes one for the Big Joe  or not. I am sure the other guys will provide additional info on this issue. Even though these examples  are with BGE's , all kamados get hot and have the same potential for fire. Bottom line, I think your table is great and just fine with the raised brick feet. 

http://www.nakedwhiz...ase/eggbase.htm

http://eggheadforum....urn-down#latest

Decided to upgrade my aging 10 year old Weber Bullet to something bigger and nicer.

Congrats on the new big joe. I myself just got the same exact grill last week in red with the stainless bands and top. I'm working on my table currently too.

One question, on your stainless top vent, is it super loose? On mine, the very top screw that holds the daisy wheel is very loose. it almost feels like its gonna fall off it wiggles so bad. I tried tightening both the slider screw and daisy wheel but they won't go anymore. I don't wanna strip them

out. I was just wondering if you had the same issue with yours?

Behold the Kamado Joe BigJoe:

Vs3K5Ie.jpg

Prior to receipt of the grill I had done some research on DIY tables and materials. Obviously that resulted in a large gamut ranging from indoor stud quality pine to exotic hardwoods. Since this was going to live outside, I wanted something better than pine and the materials had to be available from Home Depot or Lowes since I was building this on a holiday weekend and both places are close to the house.

I liked the look of the oak tables I found online, but HD doesn't carry the larger sizes such as 12/4 or 16/4. So I decided on pressure treated for the support members and oak 1x6 for the surfaces.

Mistake #1: I attached the 1x4 and 2x4 pieces directly to the 4x4 by squaring up the ends starting from the bottom. The end result is that the front top is about 3/8" wider than the rest (had to a cut a new longer 2x4 piece). If I had made 2 box frames first, everything would have lined up square. Here's the start of the main structural pieces.

QsanoDA.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pics so I'm pretty much jumping to the end.

Installing the lower slats with pavers in place:

CDxDfD1.jpg

Cut grill opening with jigsaw (28" diameter):

Y5cMjRn.jpg

Done with the woodworking, except for the front center piece. I haven't decided if I want to put a piece of oak slat there or extend the pavers to the edge to protect the wood from hot ashes. The table is 6 ft wide by 34" deep.

vl6SMld.jpg

And the mostly finished end result. Still need to finish staining the legs.

h8ohDCn.jpg

I miscalculated the height of the rear hinge and the included 1" ceramic feet didn't allow the hinge to clear the table top. I could have notched out the rear slat but the rear 2x4 support would also have to be notched out. Since I wanted to use the grill on Saturday I took the easy way out and bought some bricks to use as feet so I wouldn't have to cut any more wood. I might go back later and revise the feet or do something with the wood to allow the hinge to clear.

NjCdv2F.jpg

h6nCqSu.jpg

YFyhcqI.jpg

KG8UyjA.jpg

axs4i3D.jpg

I welcome feedback on solutions for the hinge or feet. Or if you think it's fine as is I'd like to know. Here is a scale dimensional drawing showing the spacing and 17" height allotted for the grill. Overall I'm happy with the results since I'm not a woodworker (I'm an electrical engineer).

dE6K3Ol.jpg

Nice table.  I agree with Marty about raising the lower shelf, but it will give you less space to put stuff.  If it was my table, I would leave it as it is, as long as it is stable with the bricks. I would also put bigger casters, at least 3", because between the kamado and the table I bet it's pretty heavy.