Craigs List Akorn

A few weeks ago I purchased an Akorn 6719 from someone on CL. I was used pretty hard and as the saying goes it was rode hard and put away wet. Anyway, I thougtht for $50 i could clean it up, make some repairs to the gaskets and try my hand at kamado cooking for a low introductory price. I didn't notice this at the time of purchase but the grill body rusted through on the bottom where the ash pan attaches to it. I thought I could brush off the rust and paint it with grill paint. I started cleaning it today and found out that the rust is much worse than I thought. It is rusted through on the bottom of the grill body to the point that you can see the insulation behind the ceramic liner. I thought I could seal the bottom with RTV sealant but I think it is bad enough that this wouldn't work.

I have the parts list and figured I'd reach out to CharGriller to see what a new grill body costs. Could be it would be throwing good money after bad. Might be just as well to scrap it. I think the rest of the grill is ok. I see there is some surface rust on the fire box but I don't see this as a problem. Of course the hanger that supports the ash pit is long gone; that should have been a sign for me to walk away but I like a challenge and a bargain.

Let me know your thoughts. BTW, the CI grill is oiled but appears to have some rust on it. What is the best way to remove it? Steel wool then oil?

Thanks for your interest in my situation.

Another option may be to find a damage one and use part from both to make a complete grill in good condition. When I bought might a local place had one which was dropped and badly damaged in the front of the lid. They had a "make us an offer" attitude about it. It was easier for me to just get an undamaged one. Or maybe find another used one. 

Archived