Covered Patio Question

I recently purchased my first Kamado grill.  I have been using it out in the open and rolling it back under our covered patio when I'm finished using it.  I haven't smoked anything on it yet or doing any low and slow cooking on it because I want to get a better feel for it first.    

We have a covered patio area in our backyard and I would like to build a more permanent home for my new favorite purchase, but before I make the investment I wanted some advice/validation on whether or not the area I'm looking at would provide adequate ventilation.  I'm thinking a corner unit with the grill on the left near the swing with my work area along the brick.  It looks like the previous owner used to grill there (I see a slightly blackened area on the wall).

I don't want to smoke myself and/or visitors out of the patio every time I try to use the grill.  Also, I want to make sure I don't cause any significant cosmetic/discoloration issues or else my wife will inflict significant cosmetic and discoloration issues upon me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

post-6197-0-64370800-1405269738_thumb.jp

post-6197-0-36870100-1405269760_thumb.jp

As long as the predominate wind/breeze will blow the smoke out of that large opening and not back under the middle of the covered area you should be alright making that area the permanent home. You may want to try it at different areas before making it a permanent fixture.

I have mine under an enclosed porch as well. I am considering moving it down off the porch to an open area. I would think if I keep it under the porch I will have to wash the brick and siding once a year to remove smoke build up. I just don't feel comfortable leaving it out in the open. Decisions ???

Phish - I try not to have an operating kamado under or near any flammable surface. I've seen one house burned to the foundation by a kamado that was forgotten after a cook. The guy was doing a high temp burn and the family went out for icecream only to come home to every fire truck in 20 square miles and no home!

I'd never put a kamado under anything flammable or next to any flammable surface. Never put your kamado under the soffits of your home or under an enclosed porch overhang. Sooner or later you'll get a big scare at the very least. It only takes one time and you're in trouble! I keep my Primo under a gazebo that I keep anchored on the patio. There are simply too many options to ever make me want to have a kamado under a flammable ceiling near my home. This is especially true when I'm throwing a party and I can get easily get distracted from tending my cook.

In inclement weather I roll my BGE under the edge of my covered deck. If I were choosing a spot on your patio to do the same thing it would be right in the middle of that open space where the swing is. Air movement is probably more common across and out of the patio than into it, so the smoke will dissipate and you won't mark or heat your wall.   In addition you probably will get some wind protection from that tree.  :)

In my opinion, your nice white ceiling and brick on your house will become a greasy, gunky mess. I always try to use my grill as far away from the house as possible. I built this grill house for storage, then wheel my Joe onto my patio which is 10x15 feet. I realize this isn't feasible for everyone, but I don't want to leave my grill outside either--so, this works for me. I use the grill on the corner of my patio to keep the greasy smoke away from the house. You'll be amazed at the grease buildup on the outside of the grill which needs to be cleaned periodically. Can't imagine that gunk on your ceiling/brick.

post-2904-0-74123500-1405282279.jpg

Mine sits outside with an umbrella available if needed for sun or rain protection.  However, I always cover when not in use, so that makes a difference.  I do not have a covered patio close to the house, and my open patio is just steps from the kitchen door.

• 6 years later...

I'm brand new to the forum and just got my Kamado Joe yesterday. I installed it on my vinyl covered patio (I intend to put a mat down under it) with an aluminum / glass patio cover.   From the above comments, it doesn't seem this will be an issue as I have adequate ventilation all around but before I light her up for the first time should I be worried about the roof?IMG_0470.jpg.9bcb2edd7cd2d3aeaa9497c007ba8e52.jpg

I have a large permanent shade sail covering half of my patio. The other half is roofed.   My Akorn is wheeled to the edge of the patio, maybe 6 or 7 feet below the edge of the sail.   It's position is much like Snith21's KJ. in the post above.   There is plenty of air movement.   Heavy smoke and gunk have not seemed to be a problem but I don't add a lot of smoking wood.

When not in use I wheel the grill onto the roofed half of the patio.  That for the rare chance of rain. 

I guess I have a screw or ten loose, I run all cookers and smokers inside my screen porch.

I hang from one to three fans next to the smoke producing area and get it on.

Worst thing so far is I had to scrub some smoke soot/grease off the area of the screen next to the fan.

Been doing so for 6 years, still going strong.DSC00399.thumb.JPG.f59c3cfbd473c84d6a9874db0bc3becf.JPGDSC00211.thumb.JPG.7634318149a8037f5cca3a6856dc12ed.JPGDSC00239.thumb.JPG.c72868e0789af0da0582aadca876e4ec.JPG

42 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

I guess I have a screw or ten loose, I run all cookers and smokers inside my screen porch.

If the screen porch is attached to the house, are you sure it's only ten screws? Not to be judgmental, but damn, that's crazy.

I recently bought an older Weber gas grill in anticipation of putting a a good size deck off of the back of the house. This is my first gas grill in over 35 years of cooking outdoors. I own over 20 different types of charcoal grills, some in multiples. Might have over 35 grills, haven't counted in a long time (haven't needed to). 

I'd be real hesitant to put a high temp charcoal grill, especially a ceramic kamado type, on a wooden deck or especially a room attached to a domicile without proper fire suppression in place.

I own a LBGE and a Kamado Joe Jr...in the way of ceramics. Both spend their lives out in the wild, no protection from the elements. For years. With no issues. This is in the NorthEast. I use them year-round.   

I'm a little more concerned about fires and houses. My grill sits on a wooden deck, I have used it under the 3 foot wood overhang on the roof and have used it in the rain under the overhang and next to the log walls of my house. There have been no greasy smoke marks anywhere on the deck overhang or log walls. On the first pic the black smudge is caused by a gas grill not burning the dripped grease but vaporizing it and venting out of the back . My step son discovered this on his stucco coated house in California.And like any type of fire a little common sense and keeping an eye on will go a long way. These Kamados also have the camp fire ability to blow the smoke at you no matter which side your sitting in.