Sign in to follow this  
Jack 101

Tomato Galette

I wanted a different side dish to go with my rib cook, and came up with this.
Puff pastry pre baked in a 2 piece tart pan. After cooling, brushed liberally with EVOO, and filled with red and yellow grape tomatoes seasoned with sea salt and pepper, drizzled with more EVOO, and topped with a little shredded mozzarella.
Broiled on high only long enough to melt the cheese, then garnished with a chiffenade of homegrown basil. Yum.
Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

post-1768-14052756091287_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052757008601_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052757186961_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052757574054_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052758137298_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052758431067_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14052758722293_thumb.jpg

Thanks, DH.  It was good.  I had some leftover for lunch today that had been refrigerated overnight.  If you try this, it's best at room temperature or only very slightly chilled.  Mine today was too cold and not nearly as good as last evening's.

Thank you, keeper.  Something a little different.  The only good tomatoes I can get are the grape, cherry or, if I'm lucky, Roma.

The large heirloom tomatoes are almost $4.00 a pound and, even at that sometimes disappoint.

So, I thought I'd do something with the little, tasty ones.

Yeah, Jack, I have exactly the same problem. I only buy roams or cherry or grape tomatoes, because everything else that's available has zero flavor. The tomatoes available at the Saturday farmers market are pretty good, but they are popular and you almost have to have a lottery ticket to get a few.  i am thinking of trying that with a pizza, have you done that?

Yeah, Jack, I have exactly the same problem. I only buy roams or cherry or grape tomatoes, because everything else that's available has zero flavor. The tomatoes available at the Saturday farmers market are pretty good, but they are popular and you almost have to have a lottery ticket to get a few.  i am thinking of trying that with a pizza, have you done that?

No, keeper, I haven't tried this on pizza dough, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  For this particular dish, I wanted the tomatoes fresh and uncooked as close to room temp as possible, well seasoned with sea salt and EVOO. I baked the heavily docked pastry dough before adding the tomatoes and only after it cooled and was liberally brushed with EVOO.  The pizza cook, I'm guessing, would be very close to Marghereta, as CC suggested.

I will remember this for when my tomato plants start to provide ripe fruit. Right now I am in a war with the local squirrel population. They are taunting me by eating the green tomatoes before they ripen, of leaving me their discards, I found a half eaten tomato in my dill pot, I have even seem a tomato in a tree.

1) I don't really want to kill them...

2) I don't have time for a dog

3) the cats are indoor only

4). I don't want to get another couple plants just to feel them, so Incan get mine.