Sign in to follow this  
CeramicChef

Watch, Do, Teach!

As many of you know, I'm a former academic (among other things). I have a passion for teaching the curious and willing student. I used to have a business where I taught people how to BBQ. We'd do different types of cooks throughout the mont - first weekend was pork (butts and ribs), the second weekend was beef (reverse sear steaks, loin, brisket), the third weekend was poultry (chicken, pheasant, duck, turkey, Cornish games hens), and the fourth weekend was specialty items and breads (pies, cobblers, cakes, pizza, bread). It was a lot of fun for all concerned. My motto has always been to watch one, do several, teach many.

I have this weekend the son of a buddy of mine here learning how to do BBQ the kamado way. His dad is a big Weber fan and the young man is pretty good on a Weber at the age of 15. He can do ribs pretty well. The family was here for a party over the 4th and The Kid was fascinated by the Primo and wanted to know more. This is our first opportunity to begin to learn Komado Kooking.

The Kid is amazed at how easily he can get a kamado started and up to temp. Of course he see-sawed temps last night until he got things settled in for the pork butt, but then that's why you start out on a pork butt. Very forgiving piece of meat and easy first cook. Nothing succeeds like success. We just pulled and wrapped and the butt is in the cooler after a 15 hour low & slow. We've got 3 racks of St Louis cut ribs on right now and The Kid can't get over how easy Kamado Kooking truly is! The Primo sits rock solid between 225° and 250° since we fired it up yesterday. The Kid can't get over no spritzing, no having to tend fire during the night, no water pan refills etc. He's called his Father about every 2 ours with a new revelation. Now he's asking his Father if they can get a Kamado! I explained to The Kid that nothing is for free. A price must be paid for everything. He mowed my lawn yesterday. Kamados aren't as cheap as Webers.

My point is this: pass on your accumulated wisdom any way you can. Make certain you share it with your children, boys and girls. Invite the neighbors over to watch you cook. Pour a couple of fingers of whiskey, sit around BS'ing and breathe in the aroma of a great cook. Post your successes (and failures) here and jump in and mentor those newbies to Kamado Kooking who join us here. And have FUN doing it! Let's your friends, neighbors, compadres watch you cook. Once. Make the, get their hands dirty and help you cook the rest of the summer. Make them do BBQ several times until they feel confident. Start with easy cooks, i.e. butts and then move on to ribs and finally brisket, IMHO about the toughest cook to do correctly. Build success upon success and HAVE FUN! Create memories! Among the most fond memories I have is my Father teaching me to BBQ. Even in days of my rebellion, we always came together for BBQ. I'd trade 5 years off the end of my lfe for one more BBQ with him.

BBQ inherently brings people together. The aromas, the sights, the sounds, and the taste all bring people to your backyard cook. It makes people peer over the fence and say Howdy! It creates new friends. And the opportunity to teach them how to BBQ well cements relationships! In today's disconnected world where people text message across a room rather than sit down and talk, BBQ is all about time and fellowship. This place is proof!

Go find someone to teach to do really good BBQ! You won't regret it.

Thank you for the encouragement, and I've invited several neighbors and friends to stop by so I can show them what this is all about.  Sounds like you're having a great time with your student, and he sounds like the kind of learner that makes us happy to teach.  Good job there.

Wow - what a great read - thank you.

This weekend my almost three year old helped me prep the big joe - selecting pieces of lump and putting them in - we have a bench i pull up so she can get enough height to reach in.  i can't wait to see her interest grow and develop.!

Gurus - thanks one and all for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated. The older I get the more I here my Father's words ringing in my ears ... "You'll never see a hearse pulling a U-Haul. The only thing you take with you is the love you leave behind!". You Gurus have a talent that can maybe do something to ease some of the tension that grips our country right now. Democrat, Republican, or Independent, everybody loves BBQ! Everyone knows and can agree on good BBQ when they taste it!

CeramicChef, maybe you have a videographer there too?  Most teens love that stuff.

The Kid has a dead, I'm talking D-E-A-D android phone and all I have are iPhone chargers. The Kid spent all day texting and calling his friends telling them about his new adventure. I told him BBQ is about the judicious use of resources. The lessons continue! LOL!

And The Kid's an android snob ... He won't/can't use an iPhone! His Father, Mom, and I use iPhones. He thinks we're so far behind the power curve he's surprised we can find our ways home after dark! Thus it always was; so shall it ever be! LOL!

Dear God help me! I've become my Father!

I see a genuine interest in cooking, grilling and baking from my 12 year old son, Lucas. My oldest boy, when he was little I'd always try to get him involved but it wasn't his cup of tea. Lucas has cooked me hamburgers and tri-tips, nearly on his own. I go to work at 4am some mornings, so I come home and sometimes take a nap in the afternoon. It's a nice surprise to have a meal awaiting me when I wake up. Mom's not much for outdoor grilling, so he takes charge. Lately, he's been enjoying baking. I'll pick up a brownie mix or some concoction, and he will have at it.

Cooking is wonderful project for kids. It is essentially a miniature science experiment, outside of the school environment every time they set foot in the kitchen.

I see a genuine interest in cooking, grilling and baking from my 12 year old son, Lucas. My oldest boy, when he was little I'd always try to get him involved but it wasn't his cup of tea. Lucas has cooked me hamburgers and tri-tips, nearly on his own. I go to work at 4am some mornings, so I come home and sometimes take a nap in the afternoon. It's a nice surprise to have a meal awaiting me when I wake up. Mom's not much for outdoor grilling, so he takes charge. Lately, he's been enjoying baking. I'll pick up a brownie mix or some concoction, and he will have at it.

Cooking is wonderful project for kids. It is essentially a miniature science experiment, outside of the school environment every time they set foot in the kitchen.

Now train him to think about the experiment, single variable changes. Guess how something will turn out and optimize for something he likes. Ect...

UPDATE!

The Kid wanted to foil the ribs as that's the way he'd seen his Father do ribs. No big deal. We foiled 3 racks using apple/mango juice and liquid butter and a kiss of brown sugar. Everything is fine and The Kid rushes off to get his phone charger.

Time to unwrap the ribs and finish the cook and no The Kid in sight. I call his Father and he said The Kid came in, grabbed his charger, and was off like a scalded dog. In fact, The Parents of The Kid are on their way over for The Big Dinner after The Big Cook. these ribs have to be unfoiled, but The Kid needs to do it. Well, he shows up about 75 minutes late! He went to his girlfriend's house and well .... The Kid lost track of time! ;-)) Yeah, right!

The runs were mush! I'm talking BEYOND fall off the bone mush! Mom and Dad NOT happy, but the pulled pork was dynamite; ribs not so much!

Lesson learned: keep your zipper in the upright and locked position with Q on the grill!

Lesson learned: always have a charger for your phone at hand!

Lesson learned: The Parents can get hotter than an unattended kamado!

The Kid did okay right up until the time he had a Little Head/Big Head inversion! OOPS! Well, it's not the first time, it won't be the last, no bones were broken, and nobody was bleeding!

What a story, and glad you let him suffer the consequences, even though it must have been very difficult to leave that meat sitting foiled.  CC, your interest in that kid will last longer than the mushy meat, and he'll be back.

Smoke, it was tough letting $40 worth of ribs go up in smoke! Both parents, myself, and SWMBOI knew what was happening inside the foil, but there are lessons best learned the hard way. Well, The Kid will "...never forget this one!" His words!

CC, sir, this thread is refreshing and hugely enjoyable to read.

I got some good laughs and nodded my head in agreement at many points.

Dub, The Kid gets all the credit; all I did was report! The Kid's Father, while upset with The Kid, was really amused at the whole situation when I talked with him today. We've all had a fiasco just like this in one form or another. The Father would have just as soon let this slide, but being a parent you have a job to do and the good ones do it.

I can still hear my Father: "Son, I want you to know this is going to hurt me more than it does you." I never believed him until I had my own children. Then I knew all too well. Dub, I've become my Father in more ways than I can recount!

Yup, CC.......a father in more ways than one.

That rings true.

I didn't really understand statements like that when my Dad would say them when I was a hardheaded and rowdy teenager.   Now, as a father of a young teenager......it all is crystal clear.

I hope and pray that my son will contemplate the discussions and coaching times we've had over the years when he's faced with tough decisions.  He's a smart kid, but it's a scary world out there.....much more so than when I was his age.

Unrelated:   something else you read hit home and made me laugh.  I'm right in the middle of a long run of 12 hour shifts.  Not this week....or next.....or the next.....but when I finally get a few days off, my plans are to keep my fly down and unlocked for days on end.  No worries and no hurries.....have something smoking on the grill and my fat #### relaxing after daily morning gym sessions.  :rofl: