Sign in to follow this  
aljoseph

Mussels and Shrimp over Linguine

While I'm generally not one to do much photographing of my cooks, I did manage a shot of a Mussel and Shrimp cook over Linuine that I did last week for some friends. It came out pretty good and it was tasty. Very simple to make.

post-4517-0-64148700-1405892305.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys (you too Kara). The only reason I took a picture at all is because these friends were from Wisconsin (dairy farmers) who had never tasted mussels. They wanted a picture so they could show their other friends back home what they ate while here. BTW, they both said the mussels imparted a delicious flavor and aroma to the meal. They may be converts to sea food.

We have a mussel farm near here so always can get fresh mussels.  Did you use a recipe?  Good to see one of your cooks again, Al.

Hi Jerri. Regarding a recipe, I kinda sorta used one. I looked up the dish via Google and put together the ingredients from several recipes I found on line. So, in a way I used bits and pieces of recipes that others have used. I cook mostly by smell and I could tell from the ingredients list that the flavor would be good (it had to be as I was preparing a dish for a couple who don't really ever eat sea food). If you'd like, I can share what I did either directly with you or here on this thread.

For the ingredients you'll need a pound of linguine, a pound of shrimp and two pounds more or less of mussels. About 1/4 cup each of good olive oil and butter. 6 to 8 whole cloves of garlic and half an onion chopped fine. A cup of white wine and 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Rinse the mussels in cold water to eliminate any grit they might have. The mussels should all be closed. If any are open, lightly tap the shell and if they close they are fine. If they don't respond, discard as they are no good. Cook the pasta al dente and drain. In a large pot melt the butter, add the olive oil, onion and garlic over medium low heat. Cook for 3 minutes, more or less, until the onions are translucent. Finally, add the white wine, the lemon juice and the mussels and shrimp. Stir all together and cover the pot. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any mussels that did not open after cooking. Add the pasta to the pot and toss well. I plated the whole thing in a large casserole dish and garnished with lots of Parmesan cheese and parsley. Warm up some crusty bread to mop up the sauce. Serve hot, sit back and enjoy. A simple recipe made with fresh ingredients is hard to beat. I don't think I'd change a thing if I made this dish again.

My notes are somewhat cryptic and hopefully I did not miss anything of importance.