Sign in to follow this  
Ski-Freak

Cleaning my Gunked-Up Exhaust Damper

The Saffire comes with a beautiful Cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Damper, and it is a hefty, impressive piece!

After 3/4 year or so of extensive cooking on my Saffire my Exhaust Damper became pretty gunked-up. It was even sticking when cold until it loosened from the warmth of a fire. It also had a smoky greasy aroma as well. I ran a few hot fires hoping it would help but all that did was get the inside nice and clean, and the damper remained gunked-up. Here's what it looked like yesterday:

14532141739_6c36d5facc_z.jpgblack greasy damper by ski_freak1, on Flickr

So I removed it, which is very easy to do as you just pull straight up with both hands. There is a felt gasket underneath it that makes it fit snugly, and the felt gasket remains behind securely attached to the Kamado. Then I put the Cast Stainless Steel Damper Assembly in a bucket and sprayed it liberally with Easy-Off oven cleaner - the spray bottle type versus the aerosol that says "Fume Free Daily" on it. I think this is the gentler version. I let it soak for about 15 minutes and then used a light brass bristle brush on it with a light scrubbing action while rinsing it with the garden hose. Finally I brought the mostly cleaned part inside and cleaned it all over again in the sink in the bucket with a quick shot of the Easy-Off and then hot water and a sponge. After it dried I put it back on and here's what it looks like today:

14532143858_34c5394033_z.jpgcleaned damper by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Another reason I LOVE kamados... 9 months of heavy cooking, and we have to spend less than 30 minutes doing a deep clean.  No rust to deal with, no pressure washing the inside of a greasy pit, no scraping of carbon build up (very rare)... just down right simple.

Looks GREAT!!!

And leave the top damper open without the ability to shut it down?

Good point. I clean my top vent in my gasser so it's not an issue. You could close the bottom vent and put a cast iron pan or brick on the top vent to shut it down. But if you don't have a gasser, your method is likely the safest.

I have found for cleaning oven racks & grill racks, place them in a plastic tote or anything large enough so they lay flat.

Fill with hot water enough to cover racks. Add some dishwashing detergent like Cascade.

Leave overnight & wipe clean in the morning.