Sign in to follow this  
Ski-Freak

A trick I learned about my Exhaust Damper

When I was initially reading the instructions for my Saffire I noticed that they recommended putting the damper on so that the screw that holds the daisy wheel assembly is on your right. I did as instructed and then every time I opened and closed the lid my exhaust damper closed all or almost all of the way from the gravity of the daisy wheel assembly. Often I walked away only to return in a little while to see that my temperature had dropped and wasn't coming back up - and then I realized the exhaust damper had shut the last time I opened the lid. It only took me a few times of doing that for me to decide I wanted to try re-installing it with the screw on my left as it is here:

14532341298_971b66970c_z.jpgdamper open by ski_freak1, on Flickr

Well, that's the way I left it - which is the exact opposite of the factory recommendation. Now when I open and close the lid my exhaust damper opens all of the way, and I have to manually close it down to a lower setting. This works well for me as I lost heat when I was working underneath the lid, and being wide open upon closing helps the Kamado get back up to temperature faster - a lot faster than being shut...

You still need to keep an eye on where you're dampers are set, but this makes it easier in my opinion. In thinking about it I guess the manufacturer would prefer for you to lose temperature and be late with a meal if you forget to check the damper, rather than risk a possible runaway fire - so please use caution!

i rotate mine with each cook.  I have the adjustment screw in a position that gravity will hold the wheel where I set it.  never a problem

The Saffire exhaust damper is a two stage damper that allows a very large opening by swinging the whole upper daisy wheel assembly out of the way, and which is useful during start-up and building up/back your heat. It also has a set of smaller openings in the daisy wheel when that upper assembly is covering the very large opening. The daisy wheel upper assembly has a stop in one direction that keeps the upper daisy wheel assembly from free-wheeling in both directions. When the lid is opened gravity takes over and either opens or closes up that whole upper assembly, depending upon whether the screw is on your right or on your left, unless you have the screw tightened down so far that there is resistance in any direction - and then that will vary based on how gunked-up it becomes. I have come to like it opening up after opening and closing the lid to help build back the heat in the dome I lost while I was working under the lid.

I keep the hinge screw closest to the handle......at 6 o'clock.

Adjustments stay locked in upon opening and closing.

I keep the hinge screw closest to the handle......at 6 o'clock.

Adjustments stay locked in upon opening and closing.

Yes, and that position will work well for low temperature operations when you only need just the daisy wheel holes. However, it won't work if you're looking for a damper opening greater than just the little daisy wheel holes - such as when the whole upper daisy wheel assembly is swung further open during heat-up and higher temperature operations like searing and pizza cooking. With the screw closest to the handle the large opening below the upper daisy wheel assembly will just get covered by the swinging upper daisy wheel assembly when the lid is opened, and then will remain closed (except for the daisy wheel holes) when you close the lid. The upper daisy wheel assembly swings like a pendulum hanging from the screw when the lid is opened.