• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Mewantkj

BigJoe band/hinge replacement

Hi All,

I few people have asked me about replacing the bands and hinge on my BigJoe. I thought, rather than respond to private messages, I would post here.

My bigjoe arrived in February, and it appeared to have a slight alignment issue. This was fixed by replacing the band and hinge.

My replacement bands and hinge arrived with the springs separated. I used a clamp to compress the spring and slide it into the hinge, secure the spring with the large bolt. I think the pictures below, and your current bigjoe should help you understand. These bolts are what applies the tension to the hinge. If the bolts are not tight enough the dome will not stay open. do not tighten the bolts yet, we will cover that more later. Notice the pins in the interior front and back of the bands, these pins fit into groves cut into the ceramic.

Ok, the replacement bands and hinges are ready, time to take apart the old one. I had a friend to help me. I would suggest you do too, but I imagine it could be done alone if need be. We will be removing the top band from the dome first.

1) have a friend hold the handle steady. Remove the nut and bolt. Peel the band out if the grove. The dome will stay in place, as you get to the end the spring tension will lift the band up. You just completed the second hardest part.

2) remove the nut and bolt from the bottom band. Peel back this band and remove it.

3) optional, move the dome, this will give you more room to work. This is a good time to replace gaskets.

4) replace,the band assembly startling my bolting the lower band in place.

5) this is where the friend comes in, I lifted the dome while my friend wrapped the band around it. Once the band is wrapped around the dome, you can lower it and bolt it tight.

6) tighten both bolts as much as you can.

Pictures to follow.

Please,ask any questions...others might have a better sequence events.post-3320-0-27125600-1406165369_thumb.jppost-3320-0-81201700-1406165388_thumb.jppost-3320-0-46388300-1406165420_thumb.jppost-3320-0-70955200-1406165440_thumb.jp

Edited by Mewantkj

Am I the only one who has done this?

What was your alignment issue? I didn't see it or follow it....

I had to do this to correct my alignment problem. (See the washer wedged in the bottom hinge)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1406222617.277715.jpg

interesting.  it took me a minute to see it. did you take the whole hinge apart, or just one side?

my dome had 1/8-1/4 in overbite.  this in itself was not the issue, it was causing the back of the dome to hit the D&C rack.  I also wonder if the grinding of my base and firebox bottom may have been at one end of the tolerances, and the D&C rack was raised up an extra 1/8 to 1/4 in???  works now!

This came about from the temp control problems I've had. My Joe has always had a small overbite as well. But it never seemed to be a problem.

When I kept having the temp problems that I posted here, I had loosened and re-tightened the bands 2 or 3 times during troubleshooting. The cooker always passed the paper test, but the front was tighter on paper than the back was.

I didn't notice any smoke leaks until the weekend of July 4th. Doing some hot cooking, I saw smoke coming out at the hinge. No smoke at temps below 400 though.

I started looking at the bands and gasket again and noticed the gasket in the front was compressed down thin, but at the back the gasket still had cushion. I did a couple more experimental "cooks" and figured out that either heat expansion on the bands and hinge created a bigger gap than cold cooks, or the higher pressure of hotter temps was pushing smoke out at the back. Either way I had some kind of leak there.

I sent 2 emails to KJ and neither have been answered yet. So I checked out videos and set out to fix it on my own. I loosened everything, including the hinge, aligned my dome, and put it all back together. That's when I found my hinge wasn't true and when I tightened it down, it pushed the dome forward. One video for dome alignment (BGE) showed using the washers. Did it, and it seems to have fixed it. Definitely eliminated the overbite.

This came about from the temp control problems I've had. My Joe has always had a small overbite as well. But it never seemed to be a problem.

When I kept having the temp problems that I posted here, I had loosened and re-tightened the bands 2 or 3 times during troubleshooting. The cooker always passed the paper test, but the front was tighter on paper than the back was.

I didn't notice any smoke leaks until the weekend of July 4th. Doing some hot cooking, I saw smoke coming out at the hinge. No smoke at temps below 400 though.

I started looking at the bands and gasket again and noticed the gasket in the front was compressed down thin, but at the back the gasket still had cushion. I did a couple more experimental "cooks" and figured out that either heat expansion on the bands and hinge created a bigger gap than cold cooks, or the higher pressure of hotter temps was pushing smoke out at the back. Either way I had some kind of leak there.

I sent 2 emails to KJ and neither have been answered yet. So I checked out videos and set out to fix it on my own. I loosened everything, including the hinge, aligned my dome, and put it all back together. That's when I found my hinge wasn't true and when I tightened it down, it pushed the dome forward. One video for dome alignment (BGE) showed using the washers. Did it, and it seems to have fixed it. Definitely eliminated the overbite.

interesting.  so, do you think this helped your temp control?

I -think- so. I'm not confident enough to say yes, for sure. The overbite is gone, and paper is tight all the way around. I've grilled hot a couple times with no smoke. It seemed to snuff out faster. Haven't done a low and slow yet. Low and slow is where I had the most trouble.

I have a similar problem on my Vision Classic B my upper band is bent which creates a gap in the back by my hinges. I am about to order a band and replace mine. I notice that my fire doesn't snuff out as fast i hope the band fixes my problems. My question is how tight did u tighten your bolts?? Particularly the one bolt that's connects the band together to squeeze the kamado

I'm just surprised the bands are shipped without the springs installed. Really all you need to do is use a plastic tie strap to prevent the tension from popping the band open. I always suggest using a plastic strap to tie the bands closed before removing the bands. It beats getting socked in the mouth if the band springs up on you.