Smoke and Awe

Grilled Corn with Flavored Butter

Haven't tried this yet but will as soon as I can pick up some good fresh corn.  It's in the Sept/Oct  2013 Cook's Illustrated magazine.  You could fix quite a few ears in one cook.  You char the corn and then sizzle it in flavored butter.

Use a disposable aluminum roasting pan that is at least 2 3/4 inches deep. 

Flavored butter recipes: example:   Basil and Lemon Butter; 6 tbs. unsalted butter, softened; 2 tbs. minced fresh basil; 1 tbs. minced fresh parsley; 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest; 1/3 tsp. salt; 1/4 tsp. pepper.  Combine all ingredients in small bowl.

8 ears corn, husks and silk removed

2 tbs vegetable oil

Salt and pepper

1.  Place flavored butter in disposable 9 x 13 pan.  Brush corn evenly with oil (keeps it from drying out and chars better) and season with salt and pepper to taste.

2.  Grill corn over hot fire, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, 5 to 9 minutes.  Transfer corn to pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil.

3.  Place pan on grill and cook, shaking pan frequently until butter is sizzling, about 3 minutes.  Remove pan from grill and carefully remove foil, allowing steam to escape away from you.  Serve corn, spooning any butter in pan over individual ears.

There are recipes for honey butter, latin-spiced butter, and New Orleans "barbecue" butter.  We could all probably come up with our own, including Dave's sriracha lime butter.

I got 5 ears of corn (don't know why, they were 3/$1, duh) and grilled them direct on my Akorn Jr. grill.  Then I prepared Dave's sriracha lime butter except it's too spicy for us so just added a couple of tbs. to the pan butter.  I had to use these 11 x 7 pans from Dollar Store for the sizzle, but they worked fine, one at a time (they're not on very long).  I'll take the corn off 2 of them for my Mexican bean salad, and cut the remaining 3 into smaller pieces for the potluck tomorrow.  This smells SO good!!

post-4468-0-44244200-1406319528_thumb.jp

Perfect! I was looking for a good grilled corn recipe to try out this weekend on my Vision Classic B grill.

Today is Grocery Store day. I'm doing that, Thanks Smawe

A variation of this recipe Mrs skreef did the other day. She grilled the corn then let it cool. Cut the kernels off the cob and sizzled the kernels in a flavored butter. I liked it better that way.

This all sounds good. My spin on this nowadays is "corn in a cup". Grilled corn on the cob then shave off the kernels into a bowl and stir in some mayo, butter, parmesan, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Grilled corn is good any way you make it.

I put away a half bussel of Silver Queen Corn when it comes in season. South Alabama has the best Silver Queen. Smaller kernels there is also a Silver King Version. Bigger Kernels not as sweet. I have this gadget called a Lee's Corn Cutter. www.leemfgco.com. About 10 bucks. Best gadget I ever had for cutting kernels off or creaming corn,

This all sounds good. My spin on this nowadays is "corn in a cup". Grilled corn on the cob then shave off the kernels into a bowl and stir in some mayo, butter, parmesan, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Grilled corn is good any way you make it.

Try taking the kernels and the ingredients you have listed. Sizzle that for a couple of minutes in a small aluminum pan. Sounds like an award winning side dish to me. The sizzle will put the finishing touch on it.