Cold smoker attachment for AKORN

Hi,

I always like doing beef jerky and have been wanting to try other things like dired fish, bacon and maybe even get in to doing cured/dried sausage.

Saw over on the naked whiz plans for making a cold smoker from a paint can and after thinking about it for some time came up with a variation.

I wanted something that would burn for a long time and would last.

The body is stainless steel, the hardware is galvanized and the tube is aluminum. Should last for some time. I did 2 test burns with it, the first one went out and I decided to go a little larger on the air wholes. The second one got too hot because I started it with too many briquettes. I figure this was good enough to try eith some meat.

The temp outside during my "cook" was 97. The AKORN setlled in at 120 degrees for the first 4 hours and then dropped to 105 for the remaining 8 hours of the burn. YES, It kept going for about 12 hours. I quickly learned that I can control the temp and smoke by using a combination of lump, wood, more or less lit briquettes.

Here is a shot of it hooked up and ready to go.

IMG_20120617_111131.jpg

Another view.

IMG_20120617_110538.jpg

Here is the bottom section with raised fuel bed. I also put felt gasket on it.

IMG_20120616_155054.jpg

Feet to keep it off of the ground.

IMG_20120616_155109.jpg

Here is the top assembly with tube attached. After the first burn the felt actually burned and formed a hard permanent seal at that joint.

IMG_20120616_155204.jpg

A snap of the top from the inside. You can see how I attached the elbow with a large clamp. Much different than the paint can cold smoker.

IMG_20120616_155137.jpg

And here is my first run with food. Some peppers from the garden (that I later used for some pork should country rib mop sauce) and salmon that I brined in BRAGGS.

IMG_20120617_114017.jpg

I had to take the meat off because I was planning country style ribs for dinner that night and ran out of time. The entire project was one of those where you just kinda wake up and have an itch - so I scratched. I can't wait to do beef jerky on it and I see pork belly in my near future.

The top and bottom are made from stainless dog dishes, the rest is basically from the naked whiz list. I attached the elbow differently to the top and used 1/2 as many air holes but twice the diameter. I suspect it is a little harder working with stainless steel than a tin paint can.

On a side note, if you totally fill the thing with wood chunks and light it, then pull the lid at the right time it also makes lump!. If you just let it go then eventualy it keeps going until it all burns up.

That must be some big dog!!!

This does look interesting. To me that is the trick--- find something that has a big market so the cost is not high and adapt it.

It must be for some seriously large breed... Both of my dogs (dobermans) are in the 70lb - 80lb range and I assure you their bowls are much smaller.

Picked these up at Tractor Supply Company for $7. The elbow was $3, vent $9. Clamps $1.90 and the bolts probably totalled $3.

You are right, I consider Lowes and Home Depot etc to be nothing more that a big box of tinker toys! Too bad their employees don't always have that same kind of vision.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you attach the vent to the grill?

The tube is pretty soft so I just squared it up and pushed it in the ash pan vent opening.

I am considering a metal adapter to make it easier but I haven't done it yet. Rectangle on one side and round on the other.