Sign in to follow this  
coast2coast

Fermented Foods

Does anyone else here ferment any foods?  I started a couple of years ago with sauerkraut and have now branched out to various other foods.  The newest one is fermented salsa to deal with all of the tomatoes and peppers from the garden.  Yesterday I took a jar from the fridge and not only was it delicious it was carbonated -  like eating a salsa flavored soda pop!  I ferment the various items until they are to my liking, then put them in jars in the refrigerator to hold them, where they will keep for months.  The fermented foods I currently have in the refrigerator are: sauerkraut, kimchi, garlic, lemons, jalapeno hot sauce, salsa, asparagus, and milk kefir.  I also like to ferment bananna pepper rings but they never last very long when I make a jar!

I am a big kombucha fan and keep a jar going all the time. I just bought a crock to do sauerkraut and experiment with some other things. 

I tried fermented cukes, but they wound up mushy after just 2 days. I'm disappointed, so I need to figure out why and try again. 

Oh and I did green beans, but asparagus sounds good! I'll try that next. 

Edited by karacooks