What kind of lump do you guys like in the AKORN?

Note, those of you in Northern California, Friedman's has Lazzarri Mesquite lump on sale for $5.99 for a 20 lb. bag, through the holiday week. I bought two bags and plan to go back for 2-4 more bags.

120323Cat_42_2.JPG

Is there anyway to get this stuff on the east coast?

That, I do not know. You might want to check out their website to see if they have a list of retailers that carry their product.

I just saw 40lb bags of El Diablo Mesquite charcoal lump at Sams for $14.47. Has anyone tried it. I'm from Texas and most people there use Mesquite wood for grilling and smoking. This may give enough smoke flavor that you wouldn't need to add chips.

I am new to this forum. My wife took me grill shopping for father's and picked up this grill instead of a new Weber. I am currently using up the bag of Cowboy I negotiated for when I bought the floor model from Lowes. It was missing one of the utensil hooks. So far I like it, but I don't seem to get the smokey flavor I got from the Publix Super Market lump I used with my smoker. Only working on my 4th cook this weekend, so I am looking forward to experimenting with different charcoals.

The Cowboy brand at $20 a bag is pretty expensive. but I have gotten 3 long cooks out of it and one short cook. Compare to my smoker which used up an entire bag to do a long cook, I think it balances out.

In my area I have Full Circle and RO available. Both work good.

I haven't been able to find Royal Oak, locally, but a local store sells Full Circle, which is the best i have used, it's just quite a bit more expensive than the Lazzari Misquite, which tends to pop a bit, and has some real huge pieces that need broken down... but the price is good....

• 2 months later...
I am new to this forum and also a new Acorn owner. I got mine for Father's Day, best gift ever so far. I also use lump in my grill. Here in South Texas it's all about the Mesquite so what I use is a lump made by Don Juan. It cost $2.50 for 6.6 lbs and probally only available in Texas since its a product of Mexico. I happen to be in one of our local Sam's Club and I find a 40 pound bag of Natural Mesquite Lump for $14.47. I will do some cooking this lump as soon as I run out of my current lump and let you guys know how it is.

post-844-13756507831105_thumb.jpg

I am new to this forum and also a new Acorn owner. I got mine for Father's Day, best gift ever so far. I also use lump in my grill. Here in South Texas it's all about the Mesquite so what I use is a lump made by Don Juan. It cost $2.50 for 6.6 lbs and probally only available in Texas since its a product of Mexico. I happen to be in one of our local Sam's Club and I find a 40 pound bag of Natural Mesquite Lump for $14.47. I will do some cooking this lump as soon as I run out of my current lump and let you guys know how it is.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348689467.900538.jpg[/attachment]

post-844-13756507832453_thumb.jpg

That is the same lump I buy here in Southern California at Smart and Final I really have no complaints about it I've had no problems keeping temps or any other issues besides a few huge pieces that I have to break up, but I'd rather have large pieces than too small. let me know what you think of it post-1195-13756507833447_thumb.jpg

I bought a bag of Cowboy when I picked up my grill at Lowes. I was not impressed with the contents and it is only my first lump purchase. Arm sized logs and then rest of it was small chunks. My neighbor has had his BGE for almost 10 years and he swears that the BGE lump is one of the best tasting yo buy. I will try it next.