What kind of lump do you guys like in the AKORN?

I have been using Royal Oak lump and like it fine. But I bought some Kroger brand natural lump on sale recently, and used it today. Started a fire in my chimney for a quick hot cook with wadded up packing paper like always. Man, talk about fireworks, looked like sparklers going off. Good thing it was on concrete.

Think I will stick with RO from now on.

Jim

That is the same lump I buy here in Southern California at Smart and Final I really have no complaints about it I've had no problems keeping temps or any other issues besides a few huge pieces that I have to break up, but I'd rather have large pieces than too small. let me know what you think of it [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348707283.594001.jpg[/attachment]

Pretty much the same results. Nice size pieces. $12.99 is a hell of a deal!

I have 5/6 bags of Wegeman's brand which is rebadged Royal Oak. Its $6/ bag on sale. Its good stuff but I've noticed a lot of smaller pieces in the last 2 bags. Burns cleanly and minimal fireworks. Not a lot of options around here. Cowboy at HD +Lowes or Whole Foods brand which I have not checked out yet. Walmart carries RO but only in the summer.

Im looking for royal oak lump here in Austin Texas. Wallmart not sellling no more since they brought out their Xmas decor. Does any one know of a store that carries r/o lump down here. I know I have other options but r/o is the one I like best

• 8 months later...

The El Diablo I got from Sams has quite a few big pieces like the picture of the Lazarri someone posted. For low and slow is it best to have big pieces or should I break it all down to around briquette size so they are uniform?