Sign in to follow this  
Smoke and Awe

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

After looking at the spectacular chili rellenos thread this week, I have been hungry for something like that, but not hungry enough to go to all that work!  I enjoy stuffed peppers, so decided to do something like this.  I have these ready to pop back on the grill for dinner and will take a picture then, but right now I have the time to type in the recipe, so here goes:

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

• 4 large poblano peppers, charred, split on one side and seeded
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. Mexican style chorizo, removed from casings
  • 3 tbs. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1 medium Roma tomato, diced
  • 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup cotija or other Mexican cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
  1. Preheat kamado oven to 450 degrees
  2. Roast/char poblano peppers and remove skins
  3. Saute the chorizo for about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
  4. Stir in the onions and garlic, cook for 2-3 more minutes
  5. Add the tomato paste, oregano and cumin.  Transfer to mixing bowl
  6. Add Rice, tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro, and cotija cheese and mix until combined.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Remove skin from charred poblanos.  Open side slit and gently spoon the mixture into the cavities.  Top with remaining cheese.
  8. Finish the peppers on the grill indirect until cheese melts.

Jose, we felt the stuffing was a bit bland, do you have any suggestions for additions?  You never know if the peppers are going to be spicy, so I was careful not to add anything extra, also it would depend on the chorizo.  Also, would there be any benefit in trying to incorporate eggs to further mimic the chili relleno?  Anyway, a very satisfying meal and will definitely do again (still have stuffing left over...).

Jose, we felt the stuffing was a bit bland, do you have any suggestions for additions? You never know if the peppers are going to be spicy, so I was careful not to add anything extra, also it would depend on the chorizo. Also, would there be any benefit in trying to incorporate eggs to further mimic the chili relleno? Anyway, a very satisfying meal and will definitely do again (still have stuffing left over...).

On a cook like this I always like using the best chorizo available another idea would be to stuff them with ground turkey and diced potatoes and let your imagination run wild on spices, I would also like to try it with left over chicken and some cheese mixed in there maybe even some pulled pork. A sauce on the side works great. Either way it looks fantastic.

I know! It needs the sauce on the bottom! What was your sauce? Jeff's looked delicious too, but again more steps than I wanted to do.

The sauce I used was simple I boiled 4 Roma tomatoe and one some chile piquin or you can use 1 big jalapeño blend with a chunk of onion some garlic and sauce to taste. Sometimes simple is better:)