Jack.

My (Wife's) New Toy

The weather here yesterday was so bad, my regular Saturday kamado cook didn't happen. It did, however, give me a chance to try out a 100*-500* Wolfgang Puck Induction Burner that my wife recently purchased on HSN special for $80, free shipping.

It's very lightweight, about 4#, very well built, clad in stainless steel, and saves turning on the stove burners on a hot day, or adds an extra burner, inside or outside, when you need one. It's REALLY fast to heat up, and boiled 1/2 gallon of water in 6 minutes.

Only ferrous cookware will work. If you place a non-induction compatible pot or pan on it, it tells you so. I used a very old Le Creuset CI, unglazed, and pretty rare, oval pot to cook some smoked sausage in stout and kraut, a Calphalon Induction skillet to make Mrs. Jack an herb and cheese omelette, and an AllClad brazier to make pollo asada con tomato out of a whole chicken that I smoked on the Primo a few days ago.

All in all this was a fun indoor cook, and I enjoyed learning to use an induction burner-something I'd never tried before. For $80, I'd almost buy another just to have around when needed.

Thanks for looking and Happy Cooking.

post-1768-14070780462032_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1407078074534_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070780997049_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070781190091_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070781307084_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070781499225_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070781666215_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1407078185084_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070782104128_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070782347728_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070782621136_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070782884255_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1407078316315_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070783308243_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070783508979_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070783787897_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070783936116_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070784081913_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070784198158_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070784500747_thumb.jpg

post-1768-14070784753475_thumb.jpg

Great looking grub!

These things intrigue me. My boss's wife bought a Nuwave months ago and it's been sitting in a box at the studio since. She's in Nashville right now so I think I'm going to borrow it and give it a spin myself.

Thanks, Dave.  I was surprised at how light it is, even with the glass cooktop and SS sheathing.  Very portable, very easy to control temps in that it almost feels like a gas burner in response time to temp adjustment. 

I'd be interested in learning your impressions after using the Nuwave.

I can relate to the nasty AZ weather. Glad to see you have found ways to get your cooking fix inside! Very nice induction burner and the food looks great.

Thanks, AZted.  Today looks much more promising.  I think I'm going to take a page out of your book, "wash and wax" the Primo, and take it for a spin around some surf and turf. :)

sounds like a great idea. weather forecast down in "The Old Pueblo" shows the monsoon should be done by dinner cook time. Tucson does have some amazing monsoon storms!

I'm way up in NW Pima County, in Twin Peaks, just a few miles from the Pinal County line.  We get those wind and dust storms that close the I-10.  Factor in heavy rain, and cooking outdoors in basically impossible.

I've played around with these in the past, they are cool. When training kitchen employees, we would use the $20 bill trick - put the bill on the cook surface, put a pot of water on the surface, water boils but bill doesn't burn.

I have a 5 burner induction cooktop in my island. There is nothing better, no heat, if a pan cooks dry it will shut off burner when certain temp is reached. I also have a gas cook stove in the kitchen that I never use.

Ron

I am really intrigued by these induction cook tops. In the reviews people seem to LOVE them or HATE them. The most comm on complaint was low temp simmering ---people said the induction had to cycle too much to hold a simmer.

Jack is that a induction set up to make taco shells? That would be wonderful and there would be no added fat from frying.

I am really intrigued by these induction cook tops. In the reviews people seem to LOVE them or HATE them. The most comm on complaint was low temp simmering ---people said the induction had to cycle too much to hold a simmer.

Jack is that a induction set up to make taco shells? That would be wonderful and there would be no added fat from frying.

Marty-

I had no trouble holding the chicken at a pretty low 200* simmer, and didn't sense the induction burner cycling at all.  Maybe it did, but I never noticed.  I also dropped it to 150* with no discernible loss of what Jacques Pepin referred to as "smiling bubbles".  The temps on this one are at 50* intervals.

As for the taco shells, these days when I don't have time to get to a real tortilla factory and have to use store bought, I spray them lightly with grape seed oil on both sides (a brush would work fine), season them appropriate to the content (for example, salt, and Taijin for fish; salt, pepper and oregano for beef; sometimes just a little salt and Ancho chili powder for chicken) and toast them lightly in a skillet. 

When they are lightly toasted, I drape them over the taco rack to hold shape or over the handle of a wooden spoon. I never heat them so much that they become brittle; only long enough to crisp the edges a little and to release the flavors of the spices. They always remain supple enough to fold closed over the food.

I should have said at the beginning, these are flour tortillas.  We're not crazy about corn tortillas.

Marty-

I had no trouble holding the chicken at a pretty low 200* simmer, and didn't sense the induction burner cycling at all.  Maybe it did, but I never noticed.  I also dropped it to 150* with no discernible loss of what Jacques Pepin referred to as "smiling bubbles".  The temps on this one are at 50* intervals.

As for the taco shells, these days when I don't have time to get to a real tortilla factory and have to use store bought, I spray them lightly with grape seed oil on both sides (a brush would work fine), season them appropriate to the content (for example, salt, and Taijin for fish; salt, pepper and oregano for beef; sometimes just a little salt and Ancho chili powder for chicken) and toast them lightly in a skillet. 

When they are lightly toasted, I drape them over the taco rack to hold shape or over the handle of a wooden spoon. I never heat them so much that they become brittle; only long enough to crisp the edges a little and to release the flavors of the spices. They always remain supple enough to fold closed over the food.

I should have said at the beginning, these are flour tortillas.  We're not crazy about corn tortillas.

Jack thanks for the reply. Perhaps the reports of buzzing when trying to hold a simmer were for early models. They really do have a lot to recommend them. I will keep an eye out for one.