Sign in to follow this  
aljoseph

Best/Easy Way To Blanche Tomatoes?

I love fresh tomatoes on pizza. Invariably, I bite into the pie and since my bite doesn't cleanly sever a tomato slice, I end up pulling half the tomato and hot cheese from the pie and onto my chin or shirt. Don't laugh, I'll bet this has happened to more of you than you might admit. It occurs to me that if I could easily skin the tomato I might avoid this unpleasant slap in the face. Any ideas on how to skin tomatoes quickly and easily?

I season and then grill a whole bunch of thick slices of tomato and when they're done, I smash them all over the crust, dress the rest of the pizza, and cook. Nothing like grilled tomatoes on a pie.... Give it a try!!

You have it right in the topic; blanch and then dunk in ice water. The skin peels very easy then.

Score an X in one end and place in boiling water for a minute or two. Then immerse the 'maters in the ice bath. Peel away!

Edited by LargeRedJoe

Thanks for the advices folks. I like the idea of blanching in hot water then immersing in an ice bath followed by peeling. I've not done that before. I like whole slices of tomatoes on my pie (aesthetics) rather than crushed tomatoes especially when making a Margherita pie. I'll give it a try.

I've canned many a tomato in my life and here's the best way to do it, IMO:

Take your tomatoes and make a small "x" in the skin over the bottom of the tomato with a very sharp knife (not the stem end). 

Bring a large pot of water to a full, rolling boil. 

Put your tomatoes in a basket of some kind so they're easily dunked (a pasta pot with a removable basket works really well). Don't stack the basket full - make it a single layer or at most a double layer. Better to do multiple batches than to wind up cooking the tomatoes on the bottom before the top ones even become blanched. 

Fill the sink up with ice water. 

Dunk your tomatoes in the pot of boiling water and count to 30.

Lift the basket out and immediately dunk it in the sink full of iced water.

Take the tomatoes out one by one and the skins will slip right off for the most part. (You may have to pull at some tougher spots). 

If you're doing a lot of tomatoes, you can leave them in the iced water while you do the next batch. But usually the water in the pot needs a few mins to come up to boiling again, so you can skin the first batch of tomatoes while waiting. 

Edited by karacooks

I have prepped them to freeze this way, too, yes. When I freeze them, I skin them, then actually cut them in half and scoop out the seeds and slimy pulp. I think the seeds get bitter when frozen. Then lay them on cookie sheets and put them in the freezer until they're firm. Then you can scoop them into freezer bags or foodsaver bags. Or if you don't care if they get squished up, just foodsaver them raw and unfrozen.