Roku35

My First Kamado "The Original Hibachi Pot"

18 minutes ago, Volunteer said:

I'm the little boy in the picture.  Dad was stationed at Yakota AB 1969 - 1971.  He moved that thing four times, into his retirement.  He taught me how to use it, so it was my first grill.  When it finally cracked apart in 1980, it was a sad day, the end of an era.  I've never liked any other grill as much.

Terri, Doug, Larry, on-base housing Yakota.jpg

Awesome picture and story. Great memories. 

Lovely picture, thanks for sharing. It's exactly like one I recall growing up with. We never managed to keep one intact for more than about 5 years of use. I don't know if it was too high heat, or thermal shock (stored outdoors in Los Angeles) or perhaps from periodic impacts (ping pong, dogs, kids running around...).

Use it in good health!

2 hours ago, khb said:

Lovely picture, thanks for sharing. It's exactly like one I recall growing up with. We never managed to keep one intact for more than about 5 years of use. I don't know if it was too high heat, or thermal shock (stored outdoors in Los Angeles) or perhaps from periodic impacts (ping pong, dogs, kids running around...).

Use it in good health!

I have no personal experience cooking on one of the old clay Kamados, but my understanding is that they cooked like a dream but were quite fragile in nature. 

On 7/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Volunteer said:

I'm the little boy in the picture.  Dad was stationed at Yakota AB 1969 - 1971.  He moved that thing four times, into his retirement.  He taught me how to use it, so it was my first grill.  When it finally cracked apart in 1980, it was a sad day, the end of an era.  I've never liked any other grill as much.

Terri, Doug, Larry, on-base housing Yakota.jpg

What a cool photo. Ahhhhhh the 50's and 60's great time to grow up IMO.