Akorn Folding Shelves Mod

Okay so not really a mod, exactly, more of a replacement for the metal shelves on the Akorn.

I personally did not like the feel of the shelves (everything slid off them), nor the small size which made them borderline useless. I also disliked the hooks being on the ends, meaning I had to reach a little too far to grab all my utensils. And I really wanted something to break up all the black, I'm super jealous of those who own the Red Akorn.

So I decided today, I was going to make myself some cedar shelves.

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to have any carpentry skills! I also wanted to keep it simple in design, and I will stain/seal it at some point.

And here's what about $15.00 worth of cedar and miscellaneous hardware will buy you:

0626121706.jpg

0626121707.jpg

0626121707a.jpg

The little chains hold the supports at the proper angle so that they stay seated against little L-shaped brackets I installed on the screw that the hooks for the ash pan are held onto the body with. This way if nudged the supports won't fall downward and the shelves collapse.

So it functions good and I had fun making it and overall I'm happy with what I did, even if it looks a little redneck. :)

-Ben

I've been thinking about doing this or building a cart. I have the wood shelves on the CGK I find them to small too. Thanks for sharing - makes me think I could get by with just doing the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about doing this or building a cart. I have the wood shelves on the CGK I find them to small too. Thanks for sharing - makes me think I could get by with just doing the shelves.

Youre welcome I'm glad that you like it considering I'm still not all that sure about it myself. I would love to have a nice table but frankly I dont have that kind of room and I like the mobility it has.

Okay so not really a mod, exactly, more of a replacement for the metal shelves on the Akorn.

So it functions good and I had fun making it and overall I'm happy with what I did, even if it looks a little redneck. :)

-Ben

Ain't nothing wrong with a little redneck. You're happy, it works, great!

Does the cover fit over those okay?

Jim

Ain't nothing wrong with a little redneck. You're happy, it works, great!

Does the cover fit over those okay?

Jim

Its just a little tighter but I think it will stretch, they are 19X12 So only 2 inches wider than the stock ones and the same length, but they do stick out a little when collapsed. Hey I'm glad you like it and yeah a little redneck is alright! Thats BBQ right?

I've been using a galvanized trash can for a table so your setup looks pretty posh.

Ha I wouldnt say posh but thanks, I almost considered using a steel trash can as a smoker before buying this akorn.

I like it, have been thinking about doing something with mine, more along the lines of a topper or soemthing that sets on the existing shelves.

I like it! The existing shelves are a tad bit small. I purchased a $20 wire shelf 30" tall from Lowes to add space under my grill gazebo for cooking activity.

I like it, have been thinking about doing something with mine, more along the lines of a topper or soemthing that sets on the existing shelves.

I like it! The existing shelves are a tad bit small. I purchased a $20 wire shelf 30" tall from Lowes to add space under my grill gazebo for cooking activity.

Thanks for the comments! I will post a detailed walkthru on how to modify the shelves that come with the grill to have wooden surfaces, it might be more along the lines of what you want to do.

+1 - now leaning against the table and toward better shelves.

I have been playing with the idea of setting a small table on both sides. That way i can easily move things around and gain space. I used to use two milk crates stacked as a table for the Weber Kettle.

I almost bough two tables at Sam's.

I have been playing with the idea of setting a small table on both sides. That way i can easily move things around and gain space. I used to use two milk crates stacked as a table for the Weber Kettle.

I almost bough two tables at Sam's.

I strayed away from the table idea as I don't have a lot of room and I like the idea of the folding shelves. The other idea I had was to do something along the lines what Weber does:

charcoal-grill-weber.jpg

But my welder is sitting on the shelf in the store along with my welding skills..