Ever have your neighbor complain about your kamado smoke?

AZted

UPDATE:

thanks for everyone's input. My wife and I talked about this and for now we have moved the gasser and the kamado to the other side of our patio. Not ideal, but solves the immediate issue. The problem is that the area I had it in was "my cooking area".  We do live in an HOA but even so I don't think they could enforce anything. The bottom line is that this is a pretty good neighbor and he was polite when he asked me so I want to be reasonable about this and look at the big picture. I've done my part so if I get any more complaints I just won't even engage and acknowledge them.

Freddyj - here's the best pic I have. His covered patio is not directly behind my wall but around the corner to the left. The smoke does sometimes seem to funnel through the trees to his side of the yard. I do have a decent sized yard so I'll see if I can recreate another cooking area elsewhere.

post-5809-0-06928400-1407765625_thumb.jp

I was going to ask about this as I will be fairly close to some neighbors once we move in to the new house next month.  Fortunately no HOA in that neighborhood ...

I used to Drive the Neighbor crazy with Rotisserie Chickens and Pork from the gasser smelling up the 'Hood nicely but having not had a charcoal grill or smoker i'm assuming that a Kamado will be different..  

Luckily ive noticed the house across the street has an offset smoker in back so maybe the Hood is used to it.  

Looks like a nice deep backyard!

Worst part really is the Kamado BuzzKill.  I expect to have the same if not more excitement about cooks on these grills as Ted when I get my Kamado.  Hopefully we will meet some peeps locally to hang out and eat good food once I'm setup in a backyard.  

Let me know if you want to get together and talk Kamados Ted?  Ignore the guy over the fence..  Enjoy your hobby.

Usually my smoking cooks involve heavy smoke for only a few minutes and it blows up into a wooded area. If it's blowing horizontally then i can set up a large fan and it does a great job of dispersing the smoke. Once the thick stuff dissipates i can shut off the fan. We're in a town home as well and so far so good. One neighbor worked in the food wholesale business - he and his wife enjoy the fruits of my labors. And my ribs. :)

Edited by LargeRedJoe

that's a great set up right there.  I think that you are taking the high road and think that the neighbor is over-reacting a bit.  hopefully this will be the end of it.

first time ive ever heard anyone complain about bbq smoke from a neighbor, jeez.

A few years ago I had tossed on some country ribs, the smoke was a little heavy and it was rolling up the back of the neighbors roof and spilling over and down the front valley on his roof.  I heard sirens a short time later.....  he actually thought his house was on fire and called the fire department.

Everyone got a good laugh at my neighbors expense, I invited the fire fighters over for ribs later that afternoon!

I have never had anyone complain about the smoke and if I did and they had been good neighbors I would make some effort to reduce or move it but bottom line - I am going to enjoy my yard.  A utility fan maybe to push it another direction?  I put a gazebo type shelter up towards the back of the yard for my kamado and offset.  I don't want the smoke coming in my house either.

My neighbor's deck is right across the fence from my kamado. I have a pretty high hedge of Cynothes(sp) between us but I know that if she is siting on her deck, she is going to be blasted with smoke. My kamado is on a concrete basketball court so in the summer if she is going to be out, I roll my kamado back. I have to say, I really hate it when my neighbor on the other side burns. I don't like the smoke filtering into my house and the ashes all over my back yard. I try to be very cognizant of my neighbor. She eats with us often and never says anything, but I know what it is like to sit in smoke!

AZTed..........go let your neighbor know you agree about the smoke.

Let him rest assured there will be no more smoke.

Tell him your grilling hobby has ended.

You put your grills on CL and did a swap for a superbadass new Mixmaster D-Lux turntable and bass speakers. You are now going to be getting into hardcore rapp music and music sampling. Your new friends will be coming to chill at your crib on occasion and you expect him to be cool wiff 'em. Bust out a quick freestyle rhyme for him and tell him "Peace Out, Holmes.......YOLO". It's all good in da hood. Play on, Playa.

Word.

I don't have a clue what I just typed :rofl:

I think you did good with the relocation. Aside from that, there isn't much more you can do. Cooks gotta cook. Enjoy your backyard.

My neighbor and I made a deal years ago.  She bought two chickens, I cook BOTH and give her one.  Until she passed a few years ago, we enjoyed this "you shop, I cook" relationship.  One time I dumped on a LOT of spice and pepper (making Jerk Style).   Thought I screwed up that relationship until she comes over and says "It's about time you spice that stuff up.... I was beginning to think you did not like spicy food".

God bless Margaret and all neighbors.   

Share the blessing of good food and good neighbors!

So my wife helped me create a whole new "cooking zone".  It's actually not too bad other than it's far from the house. If I get any more complaints I'm not going to worry about it. We'll see how it goes as this may end up being where we build our BBQ island hangout.  Hope to get a cook in tonight as wife said seared ahi tuna sounded good.

post-5809-0-37897700-1408209540_thumb.jp

Reading this, I think you have been a good and courteous neighbor. To ask you to do any more than you already  have, the HOA would be telling you not to BBQ, which I think is beyond their authority (except in situations involving fire danger). I would probably invite the guy over to see how I changed my setup to accommodate his concerns.