feinhorn

Wal-mart Pizza pan vs Stone for diffuser?

my only concern with the Flay technique is having the grill at +600F and then putting a stone, with the temp varience, it will only take a few cooks before the stone cracks

A lot of people seemed to be concerned with cracking pizza stones. Perhaps cheap pizza stones crack. I have a feeling my Akorn dampers and ash holder will have more problems and a higher failure rate then my pizza stone at incredibly high heat. There are also fireboxes made out of ceramics so...

Besides the bigger issue is getting the stone on the grill at high temperature. You need to snuff the fire a little first (ie close dampers) and burp the grill and have some serious gloves on to do it.

I agree with John that the pizza pan probably works fine for a low and slow setup since your mainly just trying to block direct heat. 

Here is the thing that I have against the pizza pan for the Flay technique. The pan will not lower the temperature of the grill as fast as the stone. Of course you could certainly just wait for the temperature to drop but I'm impatient.

Now I'm not entirely sure why stone lowers the heat quicker as I'm not an expert in thermodynamics. One theory I have is the pan quickly heats up and while it blocks the direct heat its still radiating heat. 

The other thing that I have noticed with stone over pan is that the stone actually holds on to moisture which means it does have an effect on humidity. Thus in some cases putting a stone in is similar to actually putting some water into your grill which does change the temperature.

I have actually used this many times to control the temperature of my grill. If I over shoot my temperature I just add another pizza stone on top of my smoking stone. Also

an easy way to lower the temperature of your grill in a low and slow is to pour fresh water into your drip pan. Adding another pizza pan again will not lower the temperature as fast as adding more "moist" mass. I may not know thermodynamics that well but I do know evaporation of water lowers temperature. 

Got my stone through Home Depot  Took a few tries to get a whole one, lots broken!

I have to imagine though that was caused by people dropping the stones.

I am curious how many people have cracked stones because of heat. I have had 4 pizza stones of various quality and size that I have used an enormous amount of times with rather high heat and have never cracked one because of heat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By NVRider
      I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:
      Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did. 

• By Big Biscuit
      Some wangs seasoned with Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and slathered with Sweet & Spicy, and Honey BBQ Baby Ray's sauce. I also added a little extra heat via some cayenne pepper powder. 
       I just started a load of lump charcoal with a starter cube. Put the ×-rack on the high position, placed the heat diffuser half moons on, and then the grill grate. I closed the dome and opened the bottom vent completely. Then I opened the daisy wheel so all the holes aligned and swung the vent on top about a 1/4 of the way open. Waited for the temp to approach 400°, then closed the bottom vent about half way. Put the wings on and flipped them a few time so they would cook evenly. When they were almost done placed them in a stainless steel bowl tossed them with sauce threw them back on for a few minutes and viola!

• By HokieOC
      With my birthday coming up, I've asked for a few accessories for my new Kamado Joe, one of which is the pizza stone.

My wife pointed out that we have a pizza stone we use in the oven, which after looking around a bit it seems some people do use.  Does anyone know what the difference is, if any in a KJ/BGE pizza stone vs one of the "regular" ones from a bake shop?  Is there any advantage to getting the kamado specific ones?

If not, that will free me up to put another accessory on the wish list!
    • By BhamBruni
      A while back I was researching whether brining is advantageous for fish. The "Test Kitchen" ran several tests and determined that yes, fish is well suited to brining. They recommended 45-60 minutes max at I forget what percentage mixture. I recently purchased Oakridge Rubs "Game Changer Brine Mix". I used their mixture recommendations (which mirrored the the same time limit as the test Kitchen).

So, I brined for 50 minutes, dried off the fish, seasoned simply with butter, lemon, and dill. Cooked on Joe Jr, indirect, at about 500 (wanted 400 but it got away from me) for 16-17 minutes. The cooked texture was very good...almost silky. I did not sense a flavor profile from the brining, and it did not seem the least bit salty. The cooked fish was slightly more pale in color than those I did not brine. Note -- it was farm rasied salmon so they are not the most colorful to begin with

The flavor and texture was very satisfying to me. I think I will do it this way all the time going forward. The side dish was Trader Joe's Root Veggies (sweet potato, parsnip, beets, and carrots) roasted per their instructions.

Really easy, really tasty...