First Tri-Tip Roast - NOT

shmckdc

Giving my first tri-tip a shot.  Had never seen one until I joined this forum and it has since been on my to do list for the KJ. I visited a local butcher yesterday and picked up a 6.5lb roast. Not sure how to fix it until tonight. I decided to prepare it just as John Setzler did in the "Kamado Joe Tri Tip with Whiskey Reduction" video. I trimmed off the excess fat and seasoned with garlic powder and Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express rub. I set the D&C system up on my ClassicJoe as John did in the video and the roast is on now, waiting to come to 110º.  In the mean time I will begin making the whiskey reduction. 

Ready to roast over the indirect side of the kamado

post-5941-0-46760100-1407966632_thumb.jp

Stay tuned...more to come

Holy smokes! That is the biggest tri tip I have ever heard of, what did it come off of, a mastadon? ha ha

I had a hard time getting tri-tips locally until about 2 years ago and since then they have become a favorite of mine. Now you have me craving one and I have to try John's recipe, it sounds perfect.

That looks like it's going to turn out great. Now I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it doesn't have the look of a traditional Tri-Tip roast. (See below) Maybe your butcher doesn't know how to cut a real Tri-Tip. :?:

IMG_4222_zpsc80106de.jpg

After some research I have to agree with you - this roast is either not a tri-tip or is an improperly cut tri-tip.  I don't know quite enough about roasts to properly identify it, but next time I go to this butcher I will bring a picture of the genuine article.  It was busy and noisy that day (plus the person who waited on me was relaying info to the guy doing the butchering) so it is possible that they did not fully understand my request and just cut off ~6lbs of something else...  I do recall asking what the size range was for one of these roasts and the guy told me it could vary between 3 and 15lbs.  That sounded pretty damn big - but once again being slightly under-informed about this sort of thing has its disadvantages.

I will be posting more pictures later.  Nevertheless - whatever it was turned out great and John's whiskey reduction is outta' this world!

That looks like it's going to turn out great. Now I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it doesn't have the look of a traditional Tri-Tip roast. (See below) Maybe your butcher doesn't know how to cut a real Tri-Tip. :?:

IMG_4222_zpsc80106de.jpg

After some research I have to agree with you - this roast is either not a tri-tip or is an improperly cut tri-tip. I don't know quite enough about roasts to properly identify it, but next time I go to this butcher I will bring a picture of the genuine article. It was busy and noisy that day (plus the person who waited on me was relaying info to the guy doing the butchering) so it is possible that they did not fully understand my request and just cut off ~6lbs of something else... I do recall asking what the size range was for one of these roasts and the guy told me it could vary between 3 and 15lbs. That sounded pretty damn big - but once again being slightly under-informed about this sort of thing has its disadvantages.

I will be posting more pictures later. Nevertheless - whatever it was turned out great and John's whiskey reduction is outta' this world!

It looks like a good hunk of meat so I'm sure it was delicious. Tri-Tip was a cut started out in Santa Maria, California in the 60's. (I think) It was a cut that was typically used for hamburger before some inventive butcher decided to use it as a roast instead. It hasn't seemed to catch on as big back east like it has out here. The biggest Tri-Tip I've ever seen was 3.5 lbs so your butcher is thinking something else if he thinks it can be up to 15 lbs. Since there are a number of other cuts that have the word "Tip" in them I'm thinking that is what you got. Now I'm no butcher or meat expert but yours may be a Beef Round, Sirloin Tip roast. Again, a nice cut of beef.

I'm attaching a YouTube video that explains the history of Santa Maria BBQ and how to cut a Tri-Tip. (At the 9:14 mark)

dont mean to hijack but i plan on doing my first tri tip too. 

I saw a show that showcased Phil's BBQ in San Diego that has a highly rated tri tip sandwich where after slicing it he bastes it in bbq sauce and puts it back on the grill for a quick sear.  Has anyone tried anything like this with their tri tip?  I think having bbq sauce caramelized on tri top would be amazing but I also dont want to dry it out.

Also does anyone marinate or their tri tip overnight?

thanks

dont mean to hijack but i plan on doing my first tri tip too. 

I saw a show that showcased Phil's BBQ in San Diego that has a highly rated tri tip sandwich where after slicing it he bastes it in bbq sauce and puts it back on the grill for a quick sear.  Has anyone tried anything like this with their tri tip?  I think having bbq sauce caramelized on tri top would be amazing but I also dont want to dry it out.

Also does anyone marinate or their tri tip overnight?

thanks

The tri-tip sandwich sounds really good - I don't think it would dry it out too much if it was a really brief sear...

Be sure to check out my updated thread:  http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/13422-first-authentic-tri-tip-roast/