Sign in to follow this  
karacooks

Air leaks

Turns out my grill leaks air like a sieve. (Do sieves leak air? I just realized how weird an analogy that is!)

Oddly enough this has not been a problem until just this week as best I can tell - or maybe I just haven't been cooking enough to notice it. It started out with my post about finding hot coals in the grill the next afternoon - and I really thought that was just a well banked fire. 

Yesterday I shook out the ash basket and found more hot coal. Not a lot. Maybe just a couple of pieces that were hot to the touch. I cleaned out the grill, returned the basket, dumped in more lump, and within 10 mins the grill was smoking and the lump was lighting itself. 20 mins later I had 550° ... without the use of a starter, a match, or anything. 

So I started investigating. I have always planned to replace the gasket, but I figured what i had was sufficient. Started out with a dollar bill test. Turns out that pesky ol' dollar bill? Just flies out of the grill. No resistance at all. 

There's also a nice big smoke residue spot on the back of the grill behind the dome vent. 

And, I tried the flashlight test and it appears that the bottom vent itself is well sealed (it should be - I siliconed the heck out of it) but the slider door itself is not completely sealing. I guess we'll use some of the new gasket to fix that. 

So for the next few days until my new gasket gets here, I guess I'll be going through more lump than usual. 

Anyone know of any good sales? :lol:

I like these at Academy -  they are 20 lbers and seems competitively priced.   It has been good charcoal (I like both flavors) and if you keep an eye out at end of season - probably in the next month or so) they often discount in store unannounced to almost half price to make room.

Hickory:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/b-b-hickory-20-lb-lump-charcoal/pid-500211?N=4294963081+10001&Ntt=charcoal&Ntk=All 

Oak:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/b-b-charcoal-co-20-lb-bnb-lump-charcoal/pid-27893?N=4294963081+10001&Ntt=charcoal&Ntk=All

I saw yeterday Publix had 20 pounds of somethng for $15, but I don't recall the name.  On the gasket, you may need to loosen the ceramic bands and reseat the lid to the bottom once the new gasket is installed.  That will ensure a tight fit top to bottom and account for any difference in thickness between the old and new gaskets.  Just make sure the bands are tightened back up correctly.   

And I just went out this morning and checked and the lump in the basket is stone cold all the way through, although there's less lump and more ash than there should be, I think. 

Who knows!!

Oh thanks to both of you. I probably need to wait until H or Z can help me with the lid ... which means probably next weekend, since I don't think the new gasket will get here before Saturday. 

Edited by karacooks

On the gasket, you may need to loosen the ceramic bands and reseat the lid to the bottom once the new gasket is installed.  That will ensure a tight fit top to bottom and account for any difference in thickness between the old and new gaskets.  Just make sure the bands are tightened back up correctly.   

On Karacooks gasket replacement post, she mentions she had to loosen the hinges. The front handle side of my BC is popped up due to the tight fitting new gasket in the back hinge side. I used 1"X1/8" BGE high heat gasket from a local shop. I can not figure this out. I bought this second hand. First owner got it as a lowes discount. I didn't pay a lot, $200, but would still like to get it up to potential if possible. I just can not get the lid and the base to seal together. I have a 50 yr old Imperial Kamado with a 10 yr old gasket yhat still passes the dollar bill test. This BC wont pass with the hinge bands fully loosened! Junk? Is there hope? Help, please! There just doesn't seem to be any pressure on the handle side of the lid.