Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Setzler

Pork Steaks?

27 posts in this topic

I just bougot my first pork steaks...butcher said sear at 500/600 on both sides direct heat for 3 minutes each side and bring to 145 internal on indirect heat. This was a butiful boston butt that he cut for me into steaks...just curious what everyone else thinks..I'll let you know how they turn out. Probably gonna Cook till 150...lol

20170420_173418.jpg

TKOBBQ and John Setzler like this

I've cooked pork steaks many times in the past. I'll usually marinate them for a while then sear them on a 450* CI griddle a few minutes per side. Makes for a tasty, quick, weeknight meal. 

15 hours ago, Justice said:

I just bougot my first pork steaks...butcher said sear at 500/600 on both sides direct heat for 3 minutes each side and bring to 145 internal on indirect heat. This was a butiful boston butt that he cut for me into steaks...just curious what everyone else thinks..I'll let you know how they turn out. Probably gonna Cook till 150...lol

20170420_173418.jpg

Pork steaks are great. I sear them before putting them in some smoke. Low and slow until they are tender. Every 30 minutes I give them a light brush of sauce and a flip. A few hours later, they are good to go. I made a batch last weekend and had some tasty leftovers for lunch through the week. Happy cooking and welcome to KG!

I think 140 IT is good for pork steaks. Pork in general is extremely tasty unless it is on the over cooked side and then the flavor diminishes greatly. My mom used to cook pork chops to 165 and to be honest they came out a bit like shoe leather. 

Marty likes this

With Pork Chops and Steaks, I like to make a side or topping of apples and sweet onions. I use a cast iron skillet, honey crisp apple slices, Texas sweet onion slices, a little chicken broth, roasted garlic, Simon & Garfunkle (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme) with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Cook  until the apples and onions are soft, then add a blonde roux (mixture of a little flour and butter) to thicken the sauce. Delicious. Sometimes I add golden raisins to the mix when I add the roux. 

4 hours ago, chaded said:

I like them okay grilled but I think they are better braised. 

Back before my kamado days I did them braised in the oven. I still sometimes braise them in the kamado. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Back before my kamado days I did them braised in the oven. I still sometimes braise them in the kamado. 

I am kind of the opposite. My family and I would always grill them up until recently. Well my father-in-law still grills them. But I would get the grill pretty hot and sear for a couple minutes on each side and stick them off to the side of the fire to finish cooking. We slather some bbq sauce on during this time. 

I started braising them not too long ago in the ceramic dutch oven and have really enjoyed them. Fall right apart and has a really good flavor. My wife prefers them grilled still and I can eat them that way every once in awhile. 

ckreef likes this

Pork steaks can come from many different parts of the Pig. Shoulder steaks are OK but not my favorite because they have such big fat pockets. I prefer the better leaner loin cuts. The loin end looks like a beef porterhouse with the loin on on side of the bone and the tenderloin on the other.

pork porterhouse steak

The other end has the steaks that resemble the beef ribeye with the delicious cap.

Image result for pork ribeye

Panchango and TKOBBQ like this

3 hours ago, Tioga said:

Pork steaks can come from many different parts of the Pig. Shoulder steaks are OK but not my favorite because they have such big fat pockets. I prefer the better leaner loin cuts. The loin end looks like a beef porterhouse with the loin on on side of the bone and the tenderloin on the other.

pork porterhouse steak

The other end has the steaks that resemble the beef ribeye with the delicious cap.

Image result for pork ribeye

Around here we always call those chops and the shoulder cuts 'steaks.' I do prefer the ones in your picture though, have to be cut really thick though.