First *Authentic* Tri-Tip Roast

shmckdc

Giving my first authentic, genuine, real-deal tri-tip a shot.  I found it in the most unlikely of places: in one of the smallest un-remodeled Krogers still in existence in my area. I asked the butcher if he had heard of tri-tip and I was amazed at the response, something along the lines of "I am originally from California and I know exactly what you are talking about, how many do you need? We have over 50lbs of it here at the store." I decided to get one for now and one for later. Tonight's tri-tip weighs in at just over 3lbs. I was in the right place at the right time as I had called a much larger Kroger and they said they would need to special-order it, and of course they never called me back.

I decided to prepare it just as John Setzler did in the "Kamado Joe Tri Tip with Whiskey Reduction" video. I trimmed off the excess fat and seasoned with garlic powder and Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks rub. I set the D&C system up on my ClassicJoe as John did in the video and I will be searing it in just a few minutes...the whiskey reduction is simmering.

post-5941-0-73470000-1408135930_thumb.jp

post-5941-0-06956700-1408135937_thumb.jp

post-5941-0-75880900-1408135941_thumb.jp

Stay tuned...more to come

Thanks everyone for the great comments, they are very encouraging!  It really did turn out good - my Wife and I were very pleased with the flavor of the tri-tip (umm, yeah we like it slightly rare.) The whiskey reduction sauce recipe of John's is outstanding. I could almost drink it it's that good! (Not to mention the wonderful aroma of the Maker's Mark as the sauce simmers.) I will definitely be doing this again really soon!