John Setzler

How to Cook a Boston Butt

Nunyabiz - that is one very nice butt cook!  And your money shot is just beautifully done.  Kudos!   :good:  :good:

I'm going to have to track down some of that Walkersworld Jerk Sauce.  Do you think Wally World would be a place to check here in the wilds of Oklahoma?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you SO much for posting this!  Yesterday I did a 9 pound pork "picnic" shoulder that took just over 11 hours, plus the time in foil+towel in my cooler.  It turned out absolutely amazing - a lovely bark, a beautiful smoke ring, and the juiciest, smokiest meat I've ever tasted.  I completely flaked on getting a picture of it before shredding it up, so you'll have to take my word for it, but it was a thing of beauty.  Thank you thank you thank you for laying it all out here for everyone to follow!

Excellent write-up.

I would only add one thing. Many of us buy meats at Costco, where they've got very nice 2-butt cryovac packages of bone-removed butt.

In that case, since they must cut the bone out, you'll end up with flaps of meat hanging off. Prior to adding the rub, it's a good idea to use butcher's twine to wrap the butt up to get those looser flaps all nicely contained.

Just an extra $0.02 in case someone buys one of these and is flummoxed by what they see when they pull it out of cryo...

Excellent write-up.

I would only add one thing. Many of us buy meats at Costco, where they've got very nice 2-butt cryovac packages of bone-removed butt.

In that case, since they must cut the bone out, you'll end up with flaps of meat hanging off. Prior to adding the rub, it's a good idea to use butcher's twine to wrap the butt up to get those looser flaps all nicely contained.

Just an extra $0.02 in case someone buys one of these and is flummoxed by what they see when they pull it out of cryo...

BTDTGTTS....it's a pain but the Costco butts are usually very good. I'd be happy to pay less per pound but with the bone. 

Nunyabiz - that is one very nice butt cook! And your money shot is just beautifully done. Kudos! :good::good:

I'm going to have to track down some of that Walkersworld Jerk Sauce. Do you think Wally World would be a place to check here in the wilds of Oklahoma?

Thanks in advance.

Dang sorry I have not responded until now

I totally forgot about this thread .

The only place I can find Walkerswood around me is Kroger but I would'nt doubt if wally world might have it. That's about the only thing I buy at Kroger so I pick up about 3-5 bottles of it at a time.

It's very good you could slather it on a flip flop and it would taste good.

@nunyabiz Injecting juice back into the pork at the end of a cook... brilliant! Can't believe I have never tried this!!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Try it, I think it works pretty good.

Hey Gurus,

I just got my KJ Classic and I'm just loving it. I've only done two cooks in it so far, steaks and burgers, but both have been the best I've ever made.

I plan to do its first low & slow cook this Saturday, cooking two bone-in pork butts ~8-9 lbs each, if I can find them down here in Orlando, FL. One will be using John's method and the other using Nunyabiz' method (thank you both for the detailed instructions).

I would like to cook them overnight, since the KJ is so stable. I plan to stabilize it at 250.

Do you guys have any recommendations as far as about how long before they should get to the 180 internal temp mark? I'd like to have an idea of when to throw them on and when to check them in the morning.

Any input you guys can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well mine always take almost exactly 10 hours.

I put them on at 7am and take them off like clockwork at about 5pm.

Unless you are going to eat them midday I don't think I would bother doing an all night thing.

mine are usually in the foil around 160 ish degrees give or take 5 degrees

Thanks Nun. How many hours before you get to the 160s does it usually take?

That is probably the biggest variance, some butts hit the "stall" at like 150 to 155, some maybe 165+

and once it hits the stall you really don't know for maybe 30 minutes that its really at the stall.

I usually let it sit at the stall as much as an hour then I foil.

That point could be anywhere between 6 to 8 hours.

on average I think I usually have it in the foil about 3 hours.

I also have mine at 225 degrees until I foil then I bump it slightly to 250.

If you have yours at 250 from the beginning times should be slightly less.