John Setzler

How to Cook a Boston Butt

15 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

I would suggest trying a longer time to let it heat soak and stabilize, 45 minutes to an hour.  Use a majority of large/medium chunks.

I will do that next time... and see if I can find a bag/brand with larger chunks

thanks @TKOBBQ!

My first low and slow on the Vision.

I followed the technique and the recipe at the beginning of this thread, except I used Meathead's Memphis Dust from Amazingribs.com.

I'm just over 5 hours in and my temperature is 155F using Big Block from Kamado Joe and Sugar Maple from SmokinLicious.ca

The video is just after I put it on, the pic is a few hours later when I put the probe in.

I must say, Vision Grills sent me another gasket, I cut the bottom of it off just below the intakes and the seal is great.

Butt.jpg

Last night I fired up My Joe Classic Gen 1. She stabilized at 230. I put my Butt on and went to bed. When I went to check 8 hours later the Joe was still 230 and smoking just like when I went to bed. I could not believe it. It took another 2 hours to reach an internal temp of 200. Put in foil, then in a cooler. Later in the day the bone pulled clean and the meat was perfect. I gave it to my my parents. Doing the same thing tonight to see it it was a fluke. I could not be more pleased with my new KJ.

Ben in N.C.