John Setzler

How to Cook a Boston Butt

Thanks Nun. How many hours before you get to the 160s does it usually take?

That is probably the biggest variance, some butts hit the "stall" at like 150 to 155, some maybe 165+

and once it hits the stall you really don't know for maybe 30 minutes that its really at the stall.

I usually let it sit at the stall as much as an hour then I foil.

That point could be anywhere between 6 to 8 hours.

on average I think I usually have it in the foil about 3 hours.

I also have mine at 225 degrees until I foil then I bump it slightly to 250.

If you have yours at 250 from the beginning times should be slightly less.

Do the butts always "stall"? And when you wrap them in foil, do you wrap them completely so they are no longer visible and also leave your temp probe still in the meat?  I've got a butt in progress right now and may have hit the "stall" at 158 degrees, thus the reason for my questions.

Thanks Nun. How many hours before you get to the 160s does it usually take?

That is probably the biggest variance, some butts hit the "stall" at like 150 to 155, some maybe 165+

and once it hits the stall you really don't know for maybe 30 minutes that its really at the stall.

I usually let it sit at the stall as much as an hour then I foil.

That point could be anywhere between 6 to 8 hours.

on average I think I usually have it in the foil about 3 hours.

I also have mine at 225 degrees until I foil then I bump it slightly to 250.

If you have yours at 250 from the beginning times should be slightly less.

Do the butts always "stall"? And when you wrap them in foil, do you wrap them completely so they are no longer visible and also leave your temp probe still in the meat?  I've got a butt in progress right now and may have hit the "stall" at 158 degrees, thus the reason for my questions.

Sorry never saw your question been busy lately.

But yes as LargeRedJoe stated I think they all will stall at some point and yes wrap the butt tightly and leave in the probe, and I always add just a touch of liquid, usually Angry Orchard apple cider to get it steaming.

But yes as LargeRedJoe stated I think they all will stall at some point and yes wrap the butt tightly and leave in the probe, and I always add just a touch of liquid, usually Angry Orchard apple cider to get it steaming.

Wow not getting this part.  Why do you want to steam meat?

I always foil wrap what I smoke for two reasons.

1.  It is a tenderization process.

2.  At about 165 the meat has received all of the smoke it will take and more may throw off the taste.

I have had good luck from these basics minus the injection and my own rubs and "mops".

https://www.facebook.com/pages/How-To-BBQ-Right/307944805900877?sk=app_190435500990432

Cooked a shoulder Saturday that was approximately 7 lbs. (it was from a cryovac 2 pack so not sure exact weight) on the Kamado Joe Classic following this method - no foil, no mop. It climbed to 150, then dropped to 145 and sat there for about 4 hours so I thought it was an early stall. It then started rising and went to 170, then dropped to 165 and held that for 2 hours...at this point it had been on 12 hours. I was a little tired, frustrated, and hungry so I just pulled it off and sliced it. Meat and cooking temps were measured with a Maverick 732. This was my first shoulder on the KJ and being able to see the temps real time with the Mav. Guess I should have just waited it out to see what happened...but is there such a thing as two stalls?

Wow not getting this part.  Why do you want to steam meat?

You answered your own question.

"".  It is a tenderization process."""

When you foil you steam whether you add any liquid or not because liquid comes out of the meat anyway.

I add a bit, couple ounces of apple cider just for flavor.

The steaming is what tenderizes the meat.