John Setzler

How to Cook a Boston Butt

18 hours ago, coldfusion said:

I just did (3) 34 pounds of pork butt last night on my Akron. Started at 2am used peach wood for smoke, Meatheads Memphis Dust rub with a mix of the rub and Apple juice ejected. Only opened the lid twice, they came off at 2pm. Had a stable temp of 225-230 using the TTT.
354be2aaf020fd3485e38c341a569e08.jpg
A pic of two of them, very moist, pulled at 189 wrapped in butcher paper in cooler and nice smoke flavor from the peach wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jealous!  Those look great...when we pull ours, we don't have a pool of juice like that all much less in the meat..wonder what I am doing wrong, maybe I am just lucking out with crappy quality of meat?  I think my wife is buying from Winco which is one of our local grocers.

My local Meiji had these for .90 cents a pound, between my sister and myself we bought 6 of them. These had zero smell to them and barely a drop of blood in the Cryovac bags.
I don't trim any of the fat off, cook fat side down. I do put a drip pan with a little water to keep the first fats from burning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My local Meiji had these for .90 cents a pound, between my sister and myself we bought 6 of them. These had zero smell to them and barely a drop of blood in the Cryovac bags.
I don't trim any of the fat off, cook fat side down. I do put a drip pan with a little water to keep the first fats from burning.

Damn!  I paid 1.69/lb for the one I did!!!

Great Tutorial.  This is the method I use as well.  Big mistake a lot of people make is buying a cut of meat that is too small and then wondering why it is dry.  Better to have great BBQ with leftovers for future meals than to have one meal of a dried out piece of meat.

John going to trt a Boston Butt tomorrow.  Costco only had boneless so we shall see.  I prefer bone in but hey you get what you get.  Be interesting doing a long smoke without a water pan.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

18 minutes ago, leadbewj said:

John going to trt a Boston Butt tomorrow.  Costco only had boneless so we shall see.  I prefer bone in but hey you get what you get.  Be interesting doing a long smoke without a water pan.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

Water pans are a hard habit to break for new kamado owners :)

33 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Water pans are a hard habit to break for new kamado owners :)

Yep,  understand the logic, the Kamado is a moist cooker by itself and the water pan does nothing but hold the temps down.  So far I am just super impressed with how this thing just keeps on cooking with very little change.  As I said in another post it's almost like Ronco, "set it and forget it".... lol

I took these butts off this morning. These are my first ones I've done. They are just a shy of 7 pounds each. Right at 9 hours they were 200 degrees. I struggled to get them off of Big Joe as they were falling apart.  

I wrepped then and am hoping they hold till I shred them later today. 

IMG_0213.JPG

Made a nice Butt and ribs this weekend!   Love the recipes and tips on the forum!    

Pulled the butt at 190.......ribs came out great, but I did have one rack smaller than the other 2 that should have come off earlier.  

IMG_20171008_114230.jpg

IMG_20171008_172002.jpg

Edited by dianlonyc2

Fired up the Akorn at 7 am, Thanksgiving, 9 lb butt was on the grates by 7:40. Rubbed it on since early Wednesday with a pre-made mix, no mustard nor oil. Had a drip pan with water and apple cider vinegar and butt was on! Against all my instincts, I closed the lid on that puppy and didn't open until 1 pm, just to peek at it, and man, was it ever looking good!

Closed it back after spritzing with apple juice and around 3:45 or so, the alarm on the thermometer buzzed with 205º inside the meat, which was truly probe tender. Wrapped the meat in foil, then wrapped again in a towel, then in the cooler until 8:30 pm, when the guests arrived for dinner. After a couple of hours, put the sausages, seafood kebabs and foil wrapped corn on the grill, and closed the lid. By dinner time, all was ready and it was time to get the meat out of its mummy costume and shred it. Amazingly good and still very hot after almost 5 hours since being pulled from the heat. I'm falling in love with low and slow Kamado cooking. Now it's off to Central Mexico for a couple of weeks work. Have a good one y'all

5 1/2 lb. butt rubbed and waiting to hit the KJ at 11:00 pm. Weather is cold..30-40 degrees. Figure about 12 hours at 210-225

degrees for this one. Hate cooking in cold weather, but it has been far to long for a good pulled pork samdwich.....and I’m running out of room in the freezer

2E2CFE6A-EB8B-4F4F-8F09-0A4498FC4CEE.jpeg