• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Boston Butt is one of the “Holy Grails” of barbecue meat.  Sliced and pulled pork barbecue that comes from this cut of meat is one of the tastiest treats you will ever have when it’s cooked proper

I just did (3) 34 pounds of pork butt last night on my Akron. Started at 2am used peach wood for smoke, Meatheads Memphis Dust rub with a mix of the rub and Apple juice ejected. Only opened the lid tw

Nice general write up, covers all the pertinent points nicely.    For my Pork Butts I always use "Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Paste" which I slather all over the entire Butt in place of a dry rub. Th

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all,

My first ever cook with my Kamado Joe JR.  Was a 7 pound boston butt (pork shoulder).  

I removed most of the fat cap and anything I thought wouldn't render out.  Covered the pork shoulder with french mustard then applied a rub.  Detailed below;

• 1/4 cup/60 mL paprika
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL salt
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL ground cumin (cumin powder)
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL chili pepper
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

After making up the rub I decided to only use half of it on the pork shoulder.  I didn't want to over rub.  Then wrapped and left in the fridge overnight.

I placed 2 small hand fulls of applewood chips into aluminium pouches. Couple of holes on the top side.

Used a drip pan with a little bit of water.  The thought process was to add moisture into the cook.  Im not sure actually how good this was. 

First cooked for 6 hours at 120 degrees.  Then wrapped in aluminium foil with some apple juice for an additional 2 hours (120 degrees).  Finally, taken off the grill and rested for a 1 hour in the aluminium foil.

The results were absolutely incredible. The bark was like nothing ive ever tasted. A combination of spicy but almost cooled by the aroma of smoky favours. There were no left overs to be placed into zip lock bags for the freezer.

For my next pork shoulder cook, I would want the meat to be alittle less dry.  I would want to keep the same structure for the cook but may one or two adjustments to enhance the eating experience.  

Any suggestions would be great! 

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just did 3 butts this weekend!  Injected with Sweet Brine o mine, rubbed will Slap Yo Daddy all purpose and smoked with Pecan and Apple wood.  Went on at 6am....wrapped with apple juice at I think at 11-12 and off at I think 2-3 (at around 200 internal)....AMAZING 

We had a great meal and I was able to vacuum seal a bunch for future meals!  

IMG_20180804_045624.jpg

IMG_20180804_104613.jpg

Edited by dianlonyc2
Pics

On 7/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, DaveBevan said:

... For my next pork shoulder cook, I would want the meat to be alittle less dry.  I would want to keep the same structure for the cook but may one or two adjustments to enhance the eating experience. 

I wrap in foil when the pork gets to 160-170F/70-75C. The foil traps a lot of the internal moisture expressed during the "stall" and it captures the collagen. The liquid is Jello when cooled. I return about 1 oz./lb. of juice, after skimming fat, that's fully absorbed by the meat fibers. Form the foil into a "boat" so the fluid doesn't leak and it makes for easy handling of hot meat... but you will get leaks, no matter what. Use a pan.

1 hour ago, dianlonyc2 said:

I just did 3 butts this weekend!... 

One of the best things about this stuff - Once you're cooking one, adding more is trivial until the grill is full. 

Have fun,

Frank

4 hours ago, fbov said:

I wrap in foil when the pork gets to 160-170F/70-75C. The foil traps a lot of the internal moisture expressed during the "stall" and it captures the collagen. The liquid is Jello when cooled. I return about 1 oz./lb. of juice, after skimming fat, that's fully absorbed by the meat fibers. Form the foil into a "boat" so the fluid doesn't leak and it makes for easy handling of hot meat... but you will get leaks, no matter what. Use a pan.

One of the best things about this stuff - Once you're cooking one, adding more is trivial until the grill is full. 

Have fun,

Frank

it was on one of these threads that I posted my first Boston Butt and said how fast it went....and someone stated you need to make more for the freezer!  Since then I learned from my mistake.....because when something this good comes off the grill....people want it.  I can't even post on Facebook anymore unless I cooked enough :) lol   

This thread is has so much good info!  

• 1 month later...

After cooking on multiple pits (primarily a WSM), I have found the Kamado Joe stays plenty moist.  In fact I think I lose some bark because of the moisture held within the ceramic during cooking.  I will foil on my WSM (no water pan, and Ique) @ 160, but The first couple times i followed this on the KJ, I lost a lot of that bark.  I let it go without foiling on the KJ with no problems.  Ribs are much better on the moist cook of the KJ, and the verdict on brisket is still out.  But in terms of bark on a good butt on the KJ, I can't get the flavor or texture I want if I foil. 

Hi All,

I will be doing an over night smoke for a birthday party.  The plan is to smoke 2, 7 lb pork butts. From what I read I should budget 90 -120 minutes per lb.  Might be a dumb question but does it matter that I have 2 cuts on the grill. Will that impact the time per pound I should budget?  Thanks!

Not really, as long as the grate is large enough to fit them without restricting air flow around them. I would swap them every 3 hrs or so, to even out any temperature variations, center to edge. 

The bigger impact will be the actual cooking temperature. 225F will take a lot longer than 250F or 275F. Your budget fits a 225F cook. 

HAve fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have to be the one... my buddy told me heavy smoke at around 225 for two hours. Wrap and up temp to about 300 for four hours. It’s been solid advise except for I’m not getting the “bark” I would like. Even extended the unwrapped smoke to 2.5 hours, better but not great. My third butt is tomorrow and the other two have been freaking awesome. Any insight  how to make it where none of my family ever wants to bbq unless I make it? 

38 minutes ago, Icepaq said:

Ok, so I have to be the one... my buddy told me heavy smoke at around 225 for two hours. Wrap and up temp to about 300 for four hours. It’s been solid advise except for I’m not getting the “bark” I would like. Even extended the unwrapped smoke to 2.5 hours, better but not great. My third butt is tomorrow and the other two have been freaking awesome. Any insight  how to make it where none of my family ever wants to bbq unless I make it? 

It seems like you have identified that the time unwrapped directly effects the amount of bark you get. Personally I go for 275 for the entire cook. I check after a few hours and once I get the bark I want I sometimes wrap. Pork butt is very forgiving so you can play with times and temps to get what you want. I would say that two hours at 225 doesn't seem like enough time to build much bark.