Day 11: Spatchcock Chicken (and Artisan Bread)

Nothing super fancy tonight: I had to work from the office today, so didn't have the time during the middle of the day to prep or plan as much. I knew this was going to be my cook tonight, so I pulled a whole chicken from the freezer before I left this morning and set it in the fridge to thaw. 

Spatchcocked it and flattened it, put a whole lot of butter under the skin, and sprinkled it with Penzey's lemon pepper. Btw, when I spatch my chickens, I cut down one side of the back bone, rather than cutting out the whole backbone as most instructions say to. The back is one of the best parts to use for making homemade chicken stock, so having the roasted backbone makes my chicken lie a little lopsided and slightly less flat, but it's worth it for the homemade stock!

On the grill at about 425° (diffuser on the lower rack with a layer of foil over).

Off the rack 45 mins later (and put on a handful of halved baby zucchini)

Served over a bed of parmesan cous cous (cooked in chicken stock with italian seasoning and parmesan cheese), and the baby zucchini. 

I knew I wanted to use the residual heat to bake the artisan bread that has been rising on the counter all today, so I prepped that while the baby zucchini were cooking. Into the small cast iron skillet, brushed with oil, and sprinkled with gray fleur de sel. 

Pictures of that still to come. :)

Edited by karacooks

Ben - just your basic 100/60/2 ratio for bread. I used:

500g flour 

300g water

10g yeast

10g kosher salt

Mixed and kneaded it this morning, let it rise on the counter all day, punched it down and let it rise in the pan while I was cooking dinner, and it's in the grill now. 

Oh CC. *shaking head*

g = grams. Good baking is always done by weight, not by volume. And grams allow you to be perfectly accurate with your ratios.

A basic artisan bread is 100% flour / 60% water / 2% yeast / 2% salt (some say 3% yeast, but whatever floats your boat).

So:

500g flour 

60% of that is 300g (water)

2% of it is 10g (yeast and salt, each)

And here it is after about 1:15 in a hot grill:

I probably should have given it a longer second rise, but I was impatient! :) 

Edited by karacooks

Thanks @magician!  Your dad and I would have to wrestle for the back. I go through gallons of chicken stock each month. I NEED my homemade stock. :) 

And the only reason I don't weigh 800# is that I force myself to lift weights and run. Otherwise I'd have to stop eating and that just ain't gonna happen!! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pittmab
      First attempt at chicken shawarma last night on the Joetisserie.

Came out really good, very pleased with the result and so easy. Juicy, tender moist chicken, with gnarled crispy edges.

Followed Smoking Dad's recipe from his YouTube video.

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Been awhile since my last post.
      I got a great book on breads; I have always been keen on making my own loafs and pizza with success but never really nailed the authentic artisan type dough. So for father’s day I got a book and I have been having a go with great results. Oh, yeh there is an art to making good breads. I recommend this book for any enthusiasts. Flour Water Yeast Salt.
      All baked on my GAS webber.   As I get better I will challenge myself on the Kamado with some natural woods I can’t wait (wood fired home baked bread)  Also had to included the lemon meringue and poppy seed lemon cake baked on the webber 
      Keep smoking  
      https://www.amazon.com.au/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Forkish/dp/160774273X/ref=asc_df_160774273X/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341743255194&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11731459910241742571&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071728&hvtargid=pla-404289632390&psc=1

• By HokieOC
      Finally pulled the trigger on a Joetisserie and can’t wait to start using it. First up want to do a chicken as that seems simple and easy, but given the two pack Costco sells has anyone done two birds at the same time on a KJ Classic? I’ve searched but haven’t found much Info with people cooking two, other than a picture which seems to be a Big Joe. Seems like it might be tight but should make it as long as they aren’t over 5lbs each. Also wondering if that affects cooking time. 
    • By KJKiley
      So this finally happened today (just a few days short of 6 weeks). 

Since we’re rapidly running out of month, the inaugural cook also happens to be for the Five Ingredient Challenge.  I was inspired by John Setzler’s SloRoller chicken video so I opted for that method.

Ingredients:
      Whole chicken
      Pineapple
      Red pepper
      Vidalia onion
      Honey
      Wayward Gourmet Applewood Smoked BBQ Awesomeness
      Salt & Pepper
      Olive Oil

I did a dry brine on the chicken the night prior.

Finally fired up the grill and set it for 375.  I swapped sides at about the 35 minute point and bumped the temp up to 425, checked on them after an hour and reduced the temp to 400.  Pulled both at about 80-85 minutes.

Slow roasted the veggies with some salt & pepper and olive oil in the oven at 350, and finished on the grill.

True to John’s video, the chicken skin was crispy and the chicken super moist.  My wife’s assessment was ‘the best chicken I’ve ever cooked’ so I consider the first round (of many) a success.

• By Tracksoup
      Hey everyone. Call me Tracksoup. I'm an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting and fishing, its a great to know that I've played a part in putting food on the table.  

A few years ago I saw a BGE and became intrigued with the Kamado cooker. I could never bring myself to spend the $$$ to replace my propane BBQ with a kamado. But after months of saving my pennies to buy a motorcycle, my wife decided that she really didn't want me riding anymore, so I decided this was my opportunity to buy myself a Kamado grill. I did a lot of reading and research about the different kamado grills available (within a reasonable distance from where I live) and made the decision to buy myself a Vision Grills Pro S grill back in April 2020 & I couldn't be happier with my decision to go Kamado.

Up until now, my only BBQ experience was a propane grill & although I've got a health appetite, the flavour of the food was 'ho-hum'. Since I got my Vision grill, I've grilled everything from venison steaks & burgers, pork sausages, chicken breasts and thighs, I've smoked pork spare ribs and even a low & slow moose roast, there is so much more flavour in the food now & I'm cooking on my kamado way more often than I ever did with the propane BBQ. This thing is awesome!!! 

While looking for info & tips to familiarize myself with this wonderful cooker, I found Kamadoguru.com about mid-June. There is so much info on this forum & I am enjoying reading through the pages