freddyjbbq

Dutch oven seafood gumbo or stew recipes?

Not a seafood gumbo but still darn good...   Chicken & Sausage Gumbo from a post that has aged off the forum.  See attached PDF.

I do make a mean seafood gumbo but don't have it in a recipe as such.  A big pot of  a full blown seafood okra gumbo with crab, oysters, shrimp, etc almost takes one month's paycheck any more. Darn shame.

Anyway here is the chicken and sausage:  13-08-03 Chicken & Sausage Gumbo.pdf

Here is another one to try...

Chicken Brunswick Stew

Recipe basis from Paula Deen recipe

Every time I have fixed this for a crowd over at a Smokehowze get together as an appetizer, side dish or one course of the meal it gets eaten like it was the main course.  The great thing is that the recipe is versatile and you can easily tweak it to you taste/mood when you are making it.  I encourage you to try a version using Kamado roasted chicken done the day before and with a stock made from the chicken carcass. 

Ingredients

• 1 (2.5-pound or 3.5 lb ) fryer chicken
  • Water
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 (16-ounce) can creamed corn (I think the extra can of corn is better)
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, available in grocery store  (or cook it on the Kamado in dutch oven with an open lid or use Kamado roasted chicken – see below)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • Celery salt
  • Hot Sauce  (optional)I like to add a splash of a hot sauce to taste
  • Cooked rice, optional as accompaniment - (we like it with no rice - just put in bowl and serve with some good french bread).   

Directions

In a large pot, place the chicken and enough water to cover chicken and bring to a boil. Cook chicken until meat falls off the bone, approximately 45 minutes. Drain the chicken and reserve 2 cups of stock. Remove the skin and bones and chop meat.

In a separate pot, mix the chicken and remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.

Add a little bit of the stock if the stew becomes too thick. Serve stew over steamed rice if desired.

For extra special flavor:

I have also cooked this by roasting the chicken on the Kamado and then stripping the meat for the Brunswick stew and using the carcass to make a stock or just use a good chicken stock base like Better Than Bouillion -Low Sodium

The original Paula Deen recipe is here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chicken-brunswick-stew-recipe.html

Just found this recipe in the latest Eating Well Sept/Oct and sounds like a lighter version that appeals to me.  Most ingredients we have on hand, and it's not difficult, in fact says 30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time.

Fish Stew with Olives, Capers & Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. mahi-mahi, swordfish or halibut steaks, about 3/4 inch thick

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1/4 tsp. ground pepper

6 canned plum tomatoes, drained and very coarsely chopped

2 stalks celery, diced

1/2 med. red onion, halved and sliced

1 cup green olives, pitted

1/4 cup capers, well rinsed

1/4 cup EVOO

1 clove garlic, chopped

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled yellow fleshed potatoes

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

1.  Pat fish dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

2.  Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, capers, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and toss to mix well.  Layer potato slices over the vegetables to cover them completely.

3.  Cover the skillet and place over medium low heat.   Cook, adjusting time--but do not stir the vegetables--until potatoes are starting to soften, about 20 min.

4.  Place the fish on top of the potatoes, cover and continue cooking until the fish is opaque in the middle, 10-12 minutes or more.

Serve sprinkled with parsley and more capers, if desired.

Seems like it would be great in a dutch oven.  Could probably add other fish is desired.  I probably wouldn't drain the tomatoes, or at least save the juice.

Just found this recipe in the latest Eating Well Sept/Oct and sounds like a lighter version that appeals to me.  Most ingredients we have on hand, and it's not difficult, in fact says 30 minutes active time, 1 hour total time.

Fish Stew with Olives, Capers & Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. mahi-mahi, swordfish or halibut steaks, about 3/4 inch thick

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1/4 tsp. ground pepper

6 canned plum tomatoes, drained and very coarsely chopped

2 stalks celery, diced

1/2 med. red onion, halved and sliced

1 cup green olives, pitted

1/4 cup capers, well rinsed

1/4 cup EVOO

1 clove garlic, chopped

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled yellow fleshed potatoes

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

1.  Pat fish dry and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

2.  Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, olives, capers, oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet and toss to mix well.  Layer potato slices over the vegetables to cover them completely.

3.  Cover the skillet and place over medium low heat.   Cook, adjusting time--but do not stir the vegetables--until potatoes are starting to soften, about 20 min.

4.  Place the fish on top of the potatoes, cover and continue cooking until the fish is opaque in the middle, 10-12 minutes or more.

Serve sprinkled with parsley and more capers, if desired.

Seems like it would be great in a dutch oven.  Could probably add other fish is desired.  I probably wouldn't drain the tomatoes, or at least save the juice.

this sounds like a good one Jerri, looking forward to seeing it and your thoughts.

This one sounds good. It's from a book I have titled The Little Gumbo Book, by Gwen McKee

A Seafood Culinary Masterpiece

5 strips of bacon, diced

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon each thyme, oregano, basil, black pepper, chile powder and Tabasco

2 1/2 quarts water

1 28 oz can tomato, chopped

1pound chopped Okra

1 pound diced fresh fish fillets (catfish, flounder or redfish)

2 pounds raw, peeled shrimp

1/2 pound cooked, diced scallops

1/2 pound fresh picked crab meat

1/2 to 1 cup white wine.

Cook bacon in large heavy pot and remove. Add vegetables and sauté until tender. Add spices, liquids, tomatoes and okra. Cook 30 minutes. Add seafood and wine and cook another 30 minutes. Serve over hot rice. Serves 10 -14 bowls.

NOTE: This gumbo is a hearty main course served with a salad and french bread, but it is also most elegant served in a cup before dinner with little or no rice. Guests will be astounded at this elegant first course - the entree will have a tough act to follow.

Again, from The Little Gumbo book , an easy, almost foolproof microwave roux with vegetables. I've tried it and it is really great. The cool thing is ALL ingredients are the same measure so you can scale up or down to fit your needs.

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup chopped celery

3/4 teaspoon minced garlic

3/4 cup chopped bell pepper

3/4 cup chopped green onion or okra

3/4 cup hot water

Mix oil with flour in a 4 cup measuring glass bowl. Microwave UNCOVERED  on HIGH for 6 minutes. Stir and cook another 30 to 60 seconds on HIGH till the color of mahogany.

Add the chopped vegetables, stir well and sauté them on HIGH for another 5 minutes till soft but not brown.

Now, before stirring, pour off the surface oil. Add hot tap water and stir until smooth. You have your roux. FYI - It freezes well.

As I said before, since all measures are equal, it's an easy to remember recipe to scale up or down in size.

My sister in Baton Rouge made this for the LSU game last Saturday:

"This is my standard go-to etoufee/stew recipe from Paul Prudhomme. . . . I play with this recipe all the time for gumbos and stews.   Saturday, I just basically doubled it and added crab bodies, claws and claw meat that I had in the freezer from earlier in the summer.   If you want a good gumbo base, then don't do the butter and sauté section . . . just add more stock to the roux mixture to thin it out and cook on low for longer amount of time. . . then you would add your shrimp and/or crab directly to that to cook.   And of course the longer it sits on the stove the better it will taste!

1/4 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (Tony's, Prudhommes, or I just use a combo of my own powders)

3 cups seafood stock, in all

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, in all

2 pounds whole, uncooked medium shrimp or crawfish

1 cup very finely diced green onions

Peel the shrimp or crawfish and use the shells to make the stock.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 4 minutes.  Gradually whisk in the flour, stirring until smooth.  Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the roux is dark red-brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, being careful not to let it scorch or splash on your skin.  Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the vegetables and 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning with a wooden spoon.  Continue stirring until cool, about 5 minutes.

Bring 2 cups of the stock to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat.  Add the roux by spoonful’s to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition.  Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking almost constantly, until the flour taste is gone.  Remove from the heat and set aside.

Melt 1 stick of the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in the shrimp and the green onions, and sauté, stirring almost constantly, for 1 minute.  Add the remaining butter, the stock mixture and the remaining 1 cup stock.  Cook, constantly shaking (versus stirring) the pan in a back-and-forth motion, until the butter melts and is mixed into the sauce, about 4 to 6 minutes.  Add the remaining Cajun seasoning to taste, stir well, and remove from the heat.  Serve immediately over rice.

I make my roux a little slower than he has in recipe so it won't burn. I usually add a tad more oil once it starts heating up because I like it a little thinner so it's easier to stir in the pot..then it will thicken back up again as it gets darker."

post-6217-0-86889500-1409936266_thumb.jp

My FIL gave me a cast iron Dutchie that was 80 years old. It was a magnificent pot, you couldn't even scorch milk in it. I loved that pot more than any other pot I owned. My former spouse snuck in my house and took it. She couldn't even cook either. I have a couple of Lodge Brand Dutchies now I use to cook on Boy Scout camp outs. Very nice product. DSCN1643_zps62ba63f3.jpg

Since I'm not from the south, or even close, I don't have an appreciation for okra, so I'm sticking with the "stew" category.  However, we're having higher than normal temps for the forseeable future so I might wait a bit before I mix some up.  Just can't get my appetite up for stew.  Remoh, thanks for the shortcuts ideas, I'll keep that in mind.