First Pizzas on the Akorn... WOW! My method with photos.

Yesterday I made hot wings and pizza from scratch. Both were a success. The wings were the same crispiness as when they are deep-fried. I have never been able to achieve this on a gas bbq or in an oven and I am a wing fiend. The pizzas were flawless. Here's a step-by-step with some pictures. 

Got my fuel going and I'm still unsure if I'm loading enough in to start with, but it took 15 minutes to get to 300, then another ten and I was at 430. Seemed good enough.

post-6598-0-72810100-1408982995_thumb.jp

Wings were merely salted for now. I dropped them straight on the grill. Since I had opened her up I also put on some peeled garlic in quality olive oil on the upper rack. This was in a small, covered foil pan. Shut the akorn, temp was down to 400f. I checked in ten and gave them a flip. Another ten another flip. 30 minutes total. I cannot believe how perfect they were. I set them aside to toss in Frank's and serve with the pizzas. 

post-6598-0-80698200-1408983059_thumb.jp

At this point I left the vents as is so it could maintain a steady 400f for the pizza. 

My wife and I did this part together. She chose Gordon Ramsay's pizza dough recipe and our only change was Namaste gluten-free flour that we got at Costco (2kg bag for 10.99). Used the hook in the Kitchen Aid then let the dough rest for 1 hour. 

post-6598-0-82624200-1408983065_thumb.jp

I had a few Sierra Nevada's at this point. 

Dough is ready! Checked the Akorn and WTF... It had dropped to 200. I opened the vents all the way and didn't see a temperature rise so I checked inside and yup, most the fuel was dust by now. No drama, just started a new fire and I was at 400F in 15-20. At this point I set the pizza stone on the top grill. I did not use a diffuser. 

We made two pizzas. Basic tomato sauce and mozzarella with hot capicola ham on one and the other was italian peppers and green olive. Once assemble I slid each onto parchment paper dusted with cornmeal. 

post-6598-0-94977900-1408983053_thumb.jppost-6598-0-39386400-1408983048_thumb.jp

I opened up the Akorn and put my wings on top rack to heat up. 

The capicola went onto the stone first. I left both vents open during the cook process. Since I figure the stone was slowing things down. After four minutes I quickly removed the parchment paper. After 8 minutes I gave the pizza a half turn. Pulled it off at 15. So 15 minutes at 400f. The bottom was golden brown with no dark bits. The pizza had a great crunch with just enough give. Seriously good pizza. I would not stray from the recipe or the method. 

post-6598-0-17599700-1408983038_thumb.jppost-6598-0-59939000-1408983042_thumb.jp

Oh yeah, the garlic oil, my little foil dish of joy came out perfect. I drizzled that garlic olive oil on everything and served with fresh basil. FYI, never cook basil. Just add at the end. 

A good tip was spying through the top vent, gave me some comfort and prevented me from opening to drop the temp. Cornmeal and parchment paper worked a treat. No diffuser necessary at this temp. 

The second pizza went on about 3-5 minutes after the first. It took about two minutes less and also came out perfect. 

post-6598-0-39386400-1408983048_thumb.jppost-6598-0-43980300-1408983033_thumb.jppost-6598-0-88756500-1408983291_thumb.jp

Honestly, these were the best pizzas and wings I've had. From here on out we will just be experimenting with flavours since this all worked so well. We often go to a nice wood-fired Italian place here for pizza and they run 18 bucks a pop plus the gluten-free five dollar surcharge. So the Akorn will pay for itself pretty darn quick. 

John, 

In general the brand specific forums are for discussions regarding the equipment itself and cooks are posted in the Cooking With Fire forum. No big deal though. Posting it in the Cooking with Fire area just means that more people will see the cook ... as some people who don't have an Akorn might not view that specific forum. :)

John, 

In general the brand specific forums are for discussions regarding the equipment itself and cooks are posted in the Cooking With Fire forum. No big deal though. Posting it in the Cooking with Fire area just means that more people will see the cook ... as some people who don't have an Akorn might not view that specific forum. :)

Okay thanks. I spent a lot of time reading Akorn specific methods for pizza so wanted to make sure others saw mine, but if they'll see here then that's fine. Thanks. 

Looks really good. Don't you just love how good the food is off of these kamados?

Here is a tip that i go when i posed and mentioned running out of lump. You can fill the bowl up with lump. Yow will not waste any of it. When you shut down the vents the fire goes out and the unburned lump will be waiting for your next cook. just lightly rake it and ADD enough to replace what you burned and then light.

Looks really good. Don't you just love how good the food is off of these kamados?

Here is a tip that i go when i posed and mentioned running out of lump. You can fill the bowl up with lump. Yow will not waste any of it. When you shut down the vents the fire goes out and the unburned lump will be waiting for your next cook. just lightly rake it and ADD enough to replace what you burned and then light.

Great tip. I will fill the bowl with lump today. Excited for my next cook. Thanks. 

Nice first pizza and wing cook. A few tips from my perspective:

I totally agree with @Marty Fill the firebox full all the way till just under the 3 tabs. Just remember with a full firebox and the vents open the temp won't stop at 400*, it'll just keep going so you will need to manage your vent settings.

If you use some type of diffuser (cheap pizza pan) and let the Akorn and stone go at your desired temp for a while you will have a more consistent temp to cook with across multiple pizzas.

When using parchment paper the way you did (and many of us do) there really is no need for corn meal.

Let us know how the second attempt works out for you.

Nice first pizza and wing cook. A few tips from my perspective:

I totally agree with @Marty Fill the firebox full all the way till just under the 3 tabs. Just remember with a full firebox and the vents open the temp won't stop at 400*, it'll just keep going so you will need to manage your vent settings.

If you use some type of diffuser (cheap pizza pan) and let the Akorn and stone go at your desired temp for a while you will have a more consistent temp to cook with across multiple pizzas.

When using parchment paper the way you did (and many of us do) there really is no need for corn meal.

Let us know how the second attempt works out for you.

Thanks. I will try filling the firebox on my next cook. I bought a cheap pizza pan as the diffuser but deem it unnecessary as it cooked perfectly without it. The pizzas were very even. 

Good call on the cornmeal. Thanks for your tips!