Sign in to follow this  
JeffieBoy

Buttermilk Marinade for Poultry

Found this on-line at smittenkitchen.com a while back. Believe it to be from Nigella Lawson originally. I have used it twice with full butterflied chickens, oven roasted. Love the richness it brings to any everyday meal.

2 Cups of Buttermilk

5 Garlic Cloves, smashed.

1 Tbsp Salt

1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar

1-1/2 Tsp Paprika, plus extra for sprinkling on Chicken before Roasting. We used Hungarian Paprika, Smoked would be good as well.

Lots of Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Whisk all of the ingredients (except for the oil) together well.

Put the chicken of your choice into a large heavy ziplock bag and add the marinade.

Put the bag into a large bowl in the fridge for a minium of two, at least twentyfour and even better, forty-eight hours.

Rotate the chicken in the marinade every few hours as you remember to do it.

Remove the chicken and drizzle some olive oil on it. Sprinkle with some coarse salt and paprika, then grill or oven-roast.

I could barely wait to get the bird out of the bag the first time I made this.

Photo to follow when I get to my computer.

Tried this tonight.  The Best!!!  I added Mrs Dash Italian Seasoning and relaced the sugar with honey. I spatchcocked a whole pastured chicken and then cut into quarters, allowing it to marinade in the buttermilk brine for two days. Then when time to cook, I used a cast iron skillet and covered the bottom with small potatoes and quartered onion. Drizzled some olive oil on the potatoes and onion along with garlic and parsley seasoning. Placed the chicken quarters on top and roasted indirect at 425 F. Once chicken hit an internal temp of 160F,  I lowered the heat to 375 and cooked till 170F. 

I have say that say that it was perfect. So incredibly moist and flavorful.