Sign in to follow this  
Smokehowze

Pork Loin Roast Redux (with a Fig and Jalapeno Glaze)

Pork Loin Roast Redux (Figs and Jalapeno Glazed)

While prospecting the other day in the basement freezer for something to cook without having to go to the store, a couple of cryo-vac Costco pork roasts were discovered.  Bingo!  

Since figs on the tree were ripe and I had a batch of fermented jalapenos finishing up, I cooked these using this recipe for the glaze.   See:  http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/8274-fig-preserves-and-fermented-jalapeno-peppers-pork-roast-glaze/?p=82285

And the result -  another check the box for a great stress free meal on the Kamado.  The small white dish is some of the fig/jalapeno glaze reserved as an accompaniment for the pork.

1-GreatPorkRoast_zps812dfb90.jpg

On Big(Red)Joe at 375 degrees indirect with Cherry Wood - wasn't timing it but probably about 1H20 for the cook.

2-OnBigJoeat375Degrees_zpsa672d9c8.jpg

A Beautiful Picture of a Perfect Cook – to 145/150 degrees internal.  Love lean but still juicy pork!  Time to get slicing.

3-BeautifulPicture_zps5ffe3846.jpg

Oh beautiful!!  The birds and critters are eating all of my figs this year.  I'll have to live vicariously through you for the fig glaze. :lol:

The possum, the squirrels, the birds, the wasps, the moths (and the rain we had recently) all have conspired to not leave me with many at all - no even enough to make a decent batch of my fig preserves.

Excellent cook Smokehowze! I love figs and I bet they nice with pork.

They work very well with pork and with the jalapenos also.  Well worth the small amount of effort to make the sauce even from fresh figs and fresh jalapenos. It like a fig version of a pepper jelly and any extra is good on toast.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By social assassin
      I’m planning to smoke my first pork shoulder and am looking for advice on good or high quality brands to buy.  Does Smithfield produce good or high quality product?  Does quality matter?  I would think it would.  What brands do you recommend?  What retailers sell quality products, e.g.  Would you buy from Costco?

Thanks,
      SC
    • By Marbque
      Been vacant for awhile had to make some poppers today. Used some Cattlemens tri-tip rub in the cream cheese...

• By shockingelectrician
      First smoke on my new Akorn.
      This is my second Akorn I had one for 5 years. I just bought 2 new ones at 69.00 each.
      Made me some pulled pork quesadillas with home made jalapeno BBQ sauce

• By TheGHole
      Hey everyone!

Made these gorgeous pork belly tacos tonight and would love to share how I did them.  I was going for some Mexican and Asian flavors, and couldn't have been happier with the result.  The only issue at all was a light spot on the pork due to liquid pooling there during the cook because the belly was a bit big for my standard Joe and I had to scrunch it a little.

PORK BELLY
      1.  I brined it for about 14 hours in a mix of pineapple juice, teriyaki, and soy sauce after scoring the fat sight relatively deeply
      2.  Dried the belly and rubbed it with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on all sides
      3.  Smoked on Kamado Joe at 240 with some cherry wood to add a light fruity smoke favor (no wrapping because I wanted some meaty bite in the taco)
      4.  When I had internals around 185, I glazed the belly and cooked for another 20ish minutes
      5.  Broiled the belly inside for 2 minutes to tighten up the glaze and crisp the fat even more
      6.  Rested the meat for about 40 minutes (should have gone longer but people were too hungry :D )

GLAZE
      1.  Mix together raw honey, soy sauce, salt, worcestershire sauce, peach preservers (wanted pineapple to go with the brine but couldn't find it), apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, hot bone sucking bbq sauce, and some secret super hot scotch bonnet hot sauce I bought in Anguilla.  All of this is unmeasured and I mixed to taste.
      2.  Simmer on the stove until the mixture reduces a bit and thickens up, allow to cool off the heat

TOPPINGS
      1.  Home made guacamole (avocado, lots of lime, onion, kosher salt, pepper, cilantro)
      2.  Home made Chipotle Crema (sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, adobo sauce, kosher salt)
      3.  Grilled pineapple on the same grates I cooked the pork on
      4.  Cojita Cheese
      5.  Cilantro
      6.  Home made pickled onions (red onion, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt, sugar, water)

Please enjoy the pictures, and as usual, ask any questions!

• By pmillen
      Ingredients
      1 Pkg. Costco Country Style Ribs
      Marinade Ingredients
      1 cup white distilled vinegar
      ¼ cup ketchup
      ¼ cup apple juice
      3 tablespoons Light brown sugar
      1 tablespoon kosher salt
      1 teaspoon hot sauce (tapatio)
      1 teaspoon ground pepper
      1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions
      1.   Cut the pork into golf ball sized chunks and marinate it for 24 hours
      2.   Preheat your kamado to 300°F with your favorite smoke wood chunks added
      3.   Grill the pork until the internal temperature is about 205°F and the pork chunks probe tender (about an hour)
      4.   Consolidate the pork chunks into throw-away pans and cover them with BBQ sauce
      5.   Return the sauced chunks to the kamado to set the sauce

Marinating

On the kamado with heat deflectors below

Light blue smoke at 297°F

Out of the kamado and ready for sauce

Consolidated, with 2 different sauces

I have a photograph of the finished product but adding it exceeded the 14.65MB limit.