John Setzler

Kamado Joe - Gasket Replacement

14 minutes ago, J-Do said:

No, I'll have to try that. The gasket is for sure shot at the back, though. Right at the hinge point. I noticed smoke pouring out the back last weekend, and today I noticed it was fully compressed and peeling back (inwards), I figure I would order a replacement soon. Just wondered if there any any tricks on lining everything up while doing a replacement.

If you have smoke pouring out you probably have an alignment problem and not a gasket problem.  I did a test a while back and cooked at 225 degrees for 10 hours with no gasket on my grill.  There was some smoke leaking initially but when the draft got going you didn't see it any more.  I'd go ahead and replace the gasket but if your dome is out of alignment it is going to give you problems again in a short time.,

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

If you have smoke pouring out you probably have an alignment problem and not a gasket problem.  I did a test a while back and cooked at 225 degrees for 10 hours with no gasket on my grill.  There was some smoke leaking initially but when the draft got going you didn't see it any more.  I'd go ahead and replace the gasket but if your dome is out of alignment it is going to give you problems again in a short time.,

It does "feel" out of alignment. I've owned it for 3 years now, and it feels off. I was also able to slip a credit card under the dome lid in the front. I'll loosen it back up and report back. Thank you!

Anybody replace the fiberglass gasket in the 2017 Classic?  Mine needs to be replaced (received damaged and waiting for parts) and sure would like to see what others may have done or better yet what mistakes to avoid.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By odamaK
      So, I got my Joetisserie and began to look for a replacement motor in case after a year my motor failed. The joetisserie motor is .model RM-A101, and conveniently enough Onlyfire has the exact same model number motor that looks identical. Here is the link on Amazon for Canada, same item would be for the USA. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie-Aftermarket/dp/B00X7RKFWG/ref=asc_df_B00X7RKFWG/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293002225578&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1174210165666426299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000793&hvtargid=pla-502873780552&psc=1&th=1

I ordered by both, and the stainless is going back, it does not match for reasons below. 

Now this says it's rated for 20lbs and is 4 watts just like the Kamado Joe one except the kamado Joe says 50 lbs. which I find odd. 

Also the stainless steel one on Amazon is a RM-A201 and the bolt pattern does not .match the Kamado Joe plate if you have to swap plates. 

The description says it has anti backlash gears.

It's not stronger for those looking for more power but this will allow you to swap adaptor plates and have a backup motor in case your motor dies during a spin possibly and this will get you back up and ruunnig. It's cheap insurance.  

Can't upload photos from where I am but will try later. 

Oh the joetisserie cord is longer. 
    • By odamaK
      I am looking for and original Kamado Joe Big Joe rolling stand or cart that came with the big joe. Looking to take my stand-alone Joe and put it into a cart. I am located in Canada, in the GTA in Ontario, please contact me if you have one you are willing to part with 

Thank you
    • By Kentuckyboy76
      Hello all, 

Just picked up a Kamado Grill to replace my old gas grill. Dived right in and did a 8 pound brisket this weekend. Looking forward to learning more!

• By Hulk
      Hey gang, I recently received my iKamand, and it works great.  I’m not able to find anyone selling extra probes for the unit for slot 2 and 3.  Has anyone had any luck?

Also, while I’m on the topic of iKamand, has anyone had success getting a DC to USB setup to work, so a cord doesn’t have to be drug across the patio?  The idea would be to use it with a usb battery back or something similar.

I left some pics to get your mouths watering while I wait for a response.