• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
John Setzler

Kamado Joe - Gasket Replacement

14 minutes ago, J-Do said:

No, I'll have to try that. The gasket is for sure shot at the back, though. Right at the hinge point. I noticed smoke pouring out the back last weekend, and today I noticed it was fully compressed and peeling back (inwards), I figure I would order a replacement soon. Just wondered if there any any tricks on lining everything up while doing a replacement.

If you have smoke pouring out you probably have an alignment problem and not a gasket problem.  I did a test a while back and cooked at 225 degrees for 10 hours with no gasket on my grill.  There was some smoke leaking initially but when the draft got going you didn't see it any more.  I'd go ahead and replace the gasket but if your dome is out of alignment it is going to give you problems again in a short time.,

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

If you have smoke pouring out you probably have an alignment problem and not a gasket problem.  I did a test a while back and cooked at 225 degrees for 10 hours with no gasket on my grill.  There was some smoke leaking initially but when the draft got going you didn't see it any more.  I'd go ahead and replace the gasket but if your dome is out of alignment it is going to give you problems again in a short time.,

It does "feel" out of alignment. I've owned it for 3 years now, and it feels off. I was also able to slip a credit card under the dome lid in the front. I'll loosen it back up and report back. Thank you!

Anybody replace the fiberglass gasket in the 2017 Classic?  Mine needs to be replaced (received damaged and waiting for parts) and sure would like to see what others may have done or better yet what mistakes to avoid.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Arh
      Hi fellows

I left my akorn grill on the Max temp for an hour by mistake and after that I can not turn the heat off by closing all the vents. 

For example, if I cook at noon the grill will stay on 300 to 250 until the next morning! I have to dump water on the hot charcoals to force it turn off for storage. 

The top vent gasket becomes loose and I cannot put it back since it becomes large and thin. The other gaskets seems fine but I don't mind to add extra and improve ita sealing.

what do you guys recommend me to do to fix my grill ?

Thanks

• By T-Bone
      I just purchased a KJ Classic divide-and-conquer rack and to Half Moon stainless steel grates.  I'm not entirely sold on two Zone cooking for such a small space, so I won't be dividing anything.  But I will conquer :-)

I have a 14 inch pizza pan by Lodge cast iron. It is my heat deflector.  Guaranteed never to crack. I've already cracked a couple of pizza stones in the past. And I don't want to go that route again.

I do have a pizza stone rated at 1400 degrees that I could use as a heat deflector on the very bottom shelf... If they're wrapped in foil to keep it clean.  So I have options in case I want to do low and slow using two shelves.  In that case the half moon racks go on the bottom and then I will rest my hinged Vision grate on top.

The cast iron Pizza Pan works great for Smash Burgers too.  Plus, the whole setup just pulled right out.

There's a couple of pics. It fits like a glove.

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Nothing puts me in mind of fall quite like chili. Though I admit that none of my friends would ever define this as chili as it contains beans and a few other things to ease my conscience and qualify as healthy. Started out with 3lbs of ground turkey that I smoked for 3 hours on the Big Joe. Garlic and jalapenõ, cowbell, mexibelle, poblano and bell peppers that I roasted on the Joe after pulling the turkey, black and kidney beans, white onion, carrot, etc. Topped with red onion, yellow bell pepper- most of which I dropped putting the lid one- and extra sharp cheddar. I unfortunately didn't get a pic of anything on the smoker. Had to snap this picked quickly before the couples devoured the pot.

• By Edward Cook
      Well I got a Kamado Joe Classic II for my birthday last month and I've been trying different things and really enjoying this cooker. 

Last night we tried thin-crust pizza on a pizza stone. 

I watched all the @John Setzler pizza videos on the Kamado Joe cooking channel and used a very simple crust recipe with King Arthur bread flour. 

My kids had some friends over after Church so we ended up cooking 8 different pizzas. 

I think I'm really sold on parchment paper now.  I had never used it before, but there was no sticking and the pizza would slide off the paper/peel onto a waiting serving dish quite easily. 

Got the Joe up to 500-550 F and it took about 7 minutes per pizza and they all came out great.

• By CentralTexBBQ
      I really do love the new firebox design and having the peace of mind that I'll probably never see this thing crack. Great concept, looks great, etc... That said, cleaning the Big Joe used to be such a simple proposition of removing the ring and firebox, vacuuming, and replacing them. Now, it is much more of a hassle- so much so that I definitely clean less and even then, try to do so when I have another pair of hands available to reset all of the pie pieces (let's call them) in place. I am also a clean freak and the ash that finds it way into the cracks between the pie pieces drives me nuts. 

Not wishing to go back, just bemoaning the additional hassle somewhat.

Also wondering, has anyone successfully bent their ash collector flaps in order to reduce the air gap between it and the firebox? Just wondering. May just be a byproduct of using the Kick Ash Basket but, a lot more ash is finding its way around the collector.

My ash tray is also bent a little (off skew) and I may try to bring it back to square the next time it's heated.