Labor Day Akorn Pizzas N' Hot Wings

I've been cooking pizza and wings to get to know my Akorn. It's nice because I can change up the toppings and sauce to keep the flavours fresh while I experiment with keeping temperatures on the Akorn. 

I fill the bowl about 85% and I use half a Weber cube in two bits to get it going. When I hit 450 I close the top to a fraction and put the bottom down to three. Let it stabilize for a few minutes. Then I throw the wings on the grate. These are not tossed in anything just pow on the grill. No heat deflector either. I find that after 15 I open em up and give them a flip. Check em in another ten, move around any that need it. Pull when crispy, usually around 35 minute mark. 

post-6598-0-71116700-1409636031_thumb.jp

Half with S&P and the rest in good ol' Frank's. 

post-6598-0-97068400-1409635973_thumb.jp

Crank it up to 500, slide on the pizza stone and slip in my pan of olive oil, garlic, dried chill pepper and rosemary. 

post-6598-0-47136700-1409636012_thumb.jp

Pizza. Still going with Gordon Ramsay's recipe with AP substituted for Namaste Gluten-Free flour. We do not notice a difference at all. It's great. I was light on cheese simply because we didn't have a ton around and personally I don't like it too cheesy. Spent a lot of time in Italy and it's more about sauce and crust there. 

Prosciutto and basil

Carne Asada and Red Onion (used leftover carne asada) 

post-6598-0-70872100-1409636001_thumb.jp

As you can see the crust is perfectly browned. Again, no heat deflector. I presume those that need it are cooking a thick crust, cringe. Well, that's just my opinion. Cook time at 500 degrees as 7-9 minutes.  

post-6598-0-62740600-1409635965_thumb.jp

Excellent looking food. 

Great view you have there from your grilling area.  That's gotta be nice.

How do you use the pan of olive oil, garlic, dried chill pepper and rosemary goodness?  I could see putting it on pizza crust sections.  Great combination.

Excellent looking food. 

Great view you have there from your grilling area.  That's gotta be nice.

How do you use the pan of olive oil, garlic, dried chill pepper and rosemary goodness?  I could see putting it on pizza crust sections.  Great combination.

Yes, it sure is sweet to have the view. That's actually just a smidgen of what we see, it's panorama mountains along the patio. We are lucky here in Vancouver, a mountain or ocean view is pretty much standard. 

I use the garlic herb chilli oil as a drizzle for on top of the pizza. One method is to transfer it to a small vinegar jar and then do droplets on top. This way you can keep the extra for next time, but I find myself spooning it up more than often. 

Another favourite of ours is Johnny's Garlic Seasoning from Costco. That stuff reminds me of the shakers in the New York pizza joints. So it's worth having it on hand if you want to shake things up.