Betcha didn't think I was going to make it today, did you? It's almost 9 p.m.! 

So this cook was completely inspired by @DerHusker's Pepper Stout Beef. My original intent was to duplicate his post, but work got hectic today and I didn't get a chance to hit the grocery store for what I needed. So I punted. :)

Started with a 3lb chuck roast which I rubbed with Louisiana Hot Sauce, and then coated in a mix of Penzey's medium chili powder, celery salt, cumin, and garlic powder. I wrapped it in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for about 4ish hours. 

Into my 3qt dutch oven, I put potatoes, about 3/4 of a leftover red onion, a yellow spanish onion, a bag of baby carrots (chopped), some celery, and 5 of the riped Hatch chiles that I roasted off yesterday. Oh, and a couple of smashed cloves of garlic. Added 1/4 cup of Worcestershire, and about 3/4 of a bottle of Shiner Bock.

Grill at 200°, cast iron griddle as defuser on the lower rack, dutch oven with veggies on the middle rack, and chuck on the top. 

Of course the minute I put everything on the grill, the skies opened up.

Nevertheless, the grill held the temp perfectly. After about 2 hours the meat was at 163°

So I popped the meat into the bowl with the veggies, foiled, and bumped the temp to 330°

2 more hours and it was testing at 205° and felt like butter.

Shredded and mixed with the veg and juice:

And served with a salad with sliced avocado. 

And plenty left over for lunch tomorrow! Yum!!

Kara, have a few questions:

1. did you use temp probe during foiling phase or did you just check it after 2 hours?

2. Any reason I shouldn't use my dutch oven lid instead of foil?

Below is my recipe, please comment:

Chuck Roast

Grill 250° Indirect

Cook chuck roast to 165° (2 hours roughly) on upper rack

Put Dutch oven with veggies below on main grate

Veggies: clove of garlic, Potatoes, carrots,  2 green peppers, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, yellow onion, red onion, jalapeno, 1/4 cup of Worcestershire Sauce, a dark beer or 12-16oz of beef broth.

When 165° remove from rack and add to Dutch oven of veggies and cover with foil or lid. Raise grill to 325°, cook another 2 hours (internal temp around 205°)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KJTerp
      Sound off everyone! What's the plan for this weekend?

I'm thinking pizza one night, and trying a smoked chuck roast/poor mans burnt ends for the other.

Both of these will be firsts for me. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do the pizza based one what ive read here, and my experience with the devil hotbox inside the house, but any advice/input on the chuck roast would be appreciated. I've braised plenty, but this will be the first smoked one. I was planning on treating it exactly like brisket, with just a shorter overall cook time.
    • By Unclebub44
      This will be my first chuck roast cook on the Akorn. I’ve only cooked steaks and wings on the grill so far, so this will be a learning experience for sure. Any advice or tips are welcome. 
    • By Smoque'n
      Working on some faux burnt ends. Been smoking since 9:30am. Almost ready to pull and cube up.

• By MD_Ag
      Got a brand new 5 qt. Dutch Oven for Christmas and wanted to break it in. Looking for something different, I did a quick search for recommended "first cooks". A video by the name of "Layered Meat" caught my eye (how could out not?). Turns out it's a traditional German recipe using pork, bacon, and onions. My kind of meal! I also got to try out my German skills watching a bunch of other videos with the real dish name, Schichtfleisch.

First off, I grabbed an eight pound pork loin and sliced it into pieces about 1 cm thick. These were coated with my sweet and spicy pork rub, then set in the fridge for a few hours. Once ready, I coated the bottom and sides of the pot with a layer of bacon. Then came a layer of onions, also 1 cm thick. Keep alternating until the Dutch oven is full. I also put in some pieces of apple, since the lid is going to block most smoke flavor from getting in. Finally, some BBQ sauce (the mustard sauce was on sale, should go well with pork) and a top layer of bacon.

While watching all the videos, I noticed each seemed to have an exact number of charcoal pieces to use. Having never used a Dutch oven that way, it took me a while to figure out there is a conversion between the size of the oven and amount of charcoal to get the desired temperature. Most videos seem to go for around 350°F. That's where I am now, so here's hoping for a delicious dish in about three hours.

Link to original video that sent me down this path:

• By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      I made this last Friday controlling the cook remotely while I was away watching the latest Star Wars movie with my son.

Pecan & hickory smoked pulled beef sandwiches, braised in a dutch oven on my kamado, and served on buns; one topped with homemade horseradish cream sauce and another with barbecue sauce. Simply awesome!

Recipe Ingredients:
      One 3 lb chuck roast
      1 large onion
      2 large peppers, mild/med/hot whatever
      Sprigs of thyme and oregano
      coarse salt
      black pepper
      Burger Buns
      Horseradish Cream Sauce
      Optional dark beer for additional braising liquid if necessary.

View the entire charted cook at ShareMyCook.com.

Other videos/products mentioned:
      Back To Basics Brisket - Beef, Smoke, Salt, & Pepper in Perfect Harmony
      BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud Temperature Controller