Beef Jerky Food Safety Question.

What are the steps/procedures/techniques one should follow to minimize food safety risks during the making of uncured beef jerky? Is it sufficient to keep the beef refrigerated during the marination process and then move it directly to a 150 - 175 degree smoker, leaving it at that cooking temperature for 8 or so hours? Clearly the food would - in that process - never be in the "danger zone" for more than an hour at the most.

What about keeping the finished product - safely - following the cooking process? I did bite the gadget bullet and buy a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. If I seal the finished jerky in one of those bags, should it be refrigerated or frozen? How long will it be safe to eat if not refrigerated? If not frozen? I'd like to send some to my son, in Alabama. Will it be safe (vacuum sealed) for, say, a week?

Finally, what should one look at or for that might be a clue that the jerky has moved from "safe to eat" across the line to "not such a good idea"?

Thanks for any thoughts you might be willing to share.

Milt

Ok so my first comment is going to be a huge old disclaimer: I think most of the national food safety "rules" are way excessive. They're designed to protect not only the weakest in our population (elderly, children, people with immune deficiencies) but they're also designed to dictate a procedure that can be followed in a commercial kitchen where there could be a dozen people or more handling a single item of food and long term food storage and cleanliness can be suspect. A lot of the food safety rules have been created specifically to protect those who are most at risk in our general population - children, elderly, those with suppressed immune system. For a lot of us in home kitchens, the extreme level of (in my mind) overprotectiveness is not always necessary. 

That said, here are the USDA and OSU Extension guidelines for making jerky at home safely. 

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_632_makingjerkyathome.pdf

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/ct_index

Use your own best judgement after reading these. 

Thank you, Kara, for the information, the posts, and - most importantly - the appropriate disclaimers. I promise not to sue you or anybody else in connection with or as a result of any ideas, suggestions, practices, information or advice than has so far been or may in the future be posted hereon in response to my request for information. This promise is and shall be binding on myself, my heirs and/or assigns and on any person or persons claiming under or through me.

/s/ Milt Tootle

Now, all that being said, and with all due respect to the fine folks at the USD&A and the Extended Oregonians, if any readers/users/lurker seeing this have actually successfully made, kept, eaten, and shared uncured beef jerky at home without having killed off or hospitalized any Framily Members (what can I say ... at least for now, Sprint is headquartered here in KC), I would sincerely appreciate any practical this-is-what-I-do-and-ain't-nobody-dead-yet tips s/he might be willing to share.

I have made it at home, smoked on the kamado, stored in Ziploc baggies, and eaten on it for up to 10 days with no refrigeration.  (It rarely lasts longer than 10 days around here.)

I think you'll be fine barring the meat sitting in a UPS/USPS/FedEx  truck or sorting facility at 90º+ for an extended period of time...but I'm no expert so proceed at your own risk.

If I use lean beef and dry it out well I have no issue keeping it in the pantry for a month.  When I make a ton I will freeze it in a zip bag.  I would't personally think twice about mailing it to a friend or family member.

The key for me is lean meat and well dried.  Your mileage may vary.

I personally watch for odor and color change.  If I was really concerned I would use pink salt in my cure to help it last much longer.  Lean meat....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kamadopamine
      New to the charcoal scene and just ordered a Kamado Joe Big Joe III, currently being shipped and I can't wait! Btw I've been lurking on this forum for a week, and it seems like a great community, everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful! 

Question for all you Kamado owners out there, particularly Kamado Joe owners: Is it safe to keep your grill outside year round (covered), like on a deck or patio? Or would you be worried about the hardware corroding? Debating whether I can keep this bad boy on the deck or if I should give it a nice cozy home in the garage when not in use. If on the deck, it would be exposed to the elements year round, including snow in winter. Even if covered when not in use, should I have concerns about storing it outside?

• By RichM
      OK I'm new here. Hope I'm in the right forum. Even though I joined some time ago I think this is my first post.  I have a Kamado Joe Classic Joe II on the way. I live in Alaska and ordered it through Ace Hardware. In the meantime I'm building my own table to hold the Kamado Joe 2.

My question is, when I cut the hole in my table top is there a required clearance between between the Joe the the wood.  Don't want to catch my table on fire. 

Thanks for your help.
      RichM
    • By Smokehowze
      Cabelas has these folding leg stackable "jerky racks" on sale either with the tray or without it.  Good prices based on my investigation.  And the only place I have seen that sells the racks without the tray.

BTW ... I have plenty of half-size sheet pans, so I bought the 2 pack without their tray.  These racks will fit the sheet pan if the legs on the bottom rack are folded up.  If you (like me) have already have a rack the fits inside or over the sheet pan and place that on the pan  first, then the  Cabela folding rack will work with the legs extended and it gives you a triple rack.  I will use these with not only my jerky but also for belly bacon and other sausage I make.  

3 Racks with tray ($24.99)   $8.33 per rack (free tray, so to speak)
       http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1976930&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1976930&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1977473

2 racks Without Tray ($12.99):  $6.35 per rack (no tray)

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1977473&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=2faf98e3ac10a055099563dda371138e 

• By Smokehowze
      Beef Jerky Time

Son and I made 4 pounds total net after drying of beef jerky equally in two flavors – pepper beef and teriyaki beef.

Pepper Jerky - The pepper jerky had a deep and darker tone and the pepper particles are quite evident.

Teriyaki Jerky  - If you look closely you will see this flavor has a color that is more reddish toned.

My brother is coming for a visit and he really likes jerky – so this is a surprise for him.  We will have a busy week together making additional jerky, venison snack sticks, other sausage and such with his deer meat from him to take home.   So some already made jerky at hand to snack on will well set the stage.  Don’t tell him about the 14 pound batch of smoked pulled pork butt boudin I also made as his other surprise.  He likes boudin sausage as much as jerky – but that is another post.

Now back to the jerky story…

The pepper beef has a definite and pronounced black pepper bite and a flavor profile similar to a pastrami.  For the recipe used, I would next time reduce the cardamom and coriander amount to cut back on the ‘aromatics’ impact in the flavor profile.

The teriyaki jerky is mildly sweet and utilized a homemade teriyaki sauce instead of a store bought.   A light smoke did not detract from the teriyaki flavor.  Next time we will probably up the level of homemade teriyaki sauce and cut back on the orange juice in the marinade to expand/enhance the teriyaki profile.

Starting point was four individual eye of round cuts from Costco right at 10 lbs total after trimming.  They were sliced on my Berkel at just under ¼ in thick.  I used a “with the grain cut”.  Promised son next batch would be “cross grain cut”.  

This cut make for an expensive jerky at about $13 by the pound after dehydrating.  But I wanted to try the eye of round.  My verdict -  I will go back to using the cheaper sirloin tip roast and just spend extra time doing more trimming of the sirloin tip  – for about $7 a pound net result.

The sliced meats went into individual cambro tubs bathed in the wet seasoning marinades for 36+ hours in the fridge.   Both flavors were lightly smoked in my homemade converted electric oven smoker while dehydrating at 145 degrees using a blended wood pellet of hickory, cherry and maple.  Drying time was around 8 hours with thin smoke applied for about 4 hours beginning after first hour of drying.    

The basics in pictures:

Slicing the Meat. This was a 6 setting on the Berkel 827A dial - which is just around 6 mm thickness.  We then hand cut each stack of slices into roughly thirds to get the proper slice width.

One of the batches after slicing

Meat with the Teriyaki Marinade

Part of the Pepper Beef Racked and Ready to Dehydrate.  The fiberglass/teflon cooking mats I use are Q-Matz that you buy by the linear foot in either 18 or 24 inch width.  Not cheap but good stuff.  

Some of the Teriyaki Beef Racked and Ready

My Homemade Electric Oven Smoker Loaded Full.

Four Net Pounds Concentrated Chewy Goodness.  The upper dish is the pepper, the lower is the teriyaki. You can really see the color difference here.

The Recipes

Starting point for the jerky flavors were recipes from the Eldon Cutlip book “Sausage & Jerky Makers’ Bible”. This is one of my favorite books on sausage and such.  Best $40 you can spend.  Amazon link

Teriyaki Jerky Marinade (page 372)

5 lbs raw meat
      5 tsp pickling salt  (31.5 g)
      1 ¼ tsp Cure #1 (pink curing salt) (7.0 g)
      2 ½ tsp ground black pepper (6.25 g)
      2 ½ tsp onion powder (9.0 g)
      2 ½ tsp garlic powder (7.75 g)
      1 cup brown sugar, packed
      2/3 cup teriyaki sauce (we used a homemade version)
      1 ¼ cup no pulp orange juice

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

We used this web recipe.  We made the full flavored version.  Watch the fresh ginger … I would start with less than the recommended.  And for the jerky we upped the honey component.

Pepper Jerky Marinade (page 369)

5 lbs raw meat
      7 ½ tsp pickling salt  (48.8 g)
      1 ¼ tsp Cure #1 (pink curing salt) (7.0 g)
      2 ½ tsp cardamom (7.0 g)
      2 ½ tsp ground coriander (4.25 g)
      2 ½ tsp onion powder (9.0 g)
      2 ½ tsp garlic powder (7.75 g)
      ¼ cup ground black pepper (31 g)
      2/3 cup corn syrup solids (138 g)
      2 ½ cups ice water

• By Smokehowze
      Beef Jerky
      A 14 pound sirloin tip roast was well trimmed  (net 10.75 lbs) and then partially frozen and cut into slabs and sliced 1/4 thick with the grain on my Berkel slicer.   My hunter brother trims meat with the precision of a surgeon.   As as FYI... slow boil/simmer the trimmings for a couple of hours and de-fat the result to make a delicious stock. The trimmings themselves get very tender and quite tasty. 
      Although it has more interior fat in the meat grain, sirloin tip was OK as it will not be long term stored out on the counter and will be eaten in a rather short time and/or frozen.  A eye of round might have been a better jerky cut  as it needs little trimming and probably has less interior fat- but it's also more expensive. The sirloin tip is a very tender cut and the resulting jerky was reflected that. 
      In a lapse of conscious, I used a name brand commercial jerky seasoning mix. While OK, I will not use commercial mixes again as they are too salty and my homemade seasoning mixes are much better.  I knew better and did a silly thing.   
      Nonetheless, it won't go to waste. Brother really enjoys eating jerky. The result was 4.5 lbs net after dehydrating for 8-11 hours (checking pieces periodically) at 145 degrees in my electric smoker oven.  Smoke was a hickory, cherry and maple blend.
      Looky looky - we finally have jerky! 

Slicing the meat

Massaging in the wet seasoning mixture.  It was then over night marinated in the fridge.

One of the 5 racks headed to the smoker oven

The resulting jerky mountain.  It's like playing an edible pick-up-sticks game.