Grilled Wild Salmon with Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms and Black Rice

Smokehowze

Grilled Wild Salmon with Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms and Black Rice

The Meal: Grilled Salmon, Stuffed Mushrooms & Black Rice

1-GrilledSalmonStuffedMushroomsBlackRice

A Meal By Themselves (or a Serious Good Appetizer Since These Are the Medium Sized Mushrooms)

2-AMealByThemselves_zpsf5e0a4c3.jpg

STUFFED CREMINI MUSHROOMS

Ingredients:

• Medium sized cremini mushrooms
  • Ham or bacon  (divide into two equal portions) 

Note:  I used my homemade pork loin (Canadian Bacon)  

​              http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/14107-my-homemade-pork-loin-bacon-canadian-bacon/?p=161140

• finely chopped onion
  • finely chopped green bell pepper
  • finely minced garlic
  • dried thyme
  • fried or fresh chopped red pepper
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • seasoned bread crumbs
  • balsamic vinegar
  • shredded mozzarella cheese

The Creminis

3-TheCreminis_zpsac1caa57.jpg

Main Stuffing Ingredients

4-MainStuffingIngredients_zps9a0c8190.jp

Stuffing Ready for the Saute

5-StuffingReadyfortheSaute_zps3ca73bb2.j

Remove stems and from the mushrooms.  Finely chop the stems and place them in a mixing bowl. Combine stems in a sauté pan heated and drizzled with olive oil with the rest of the ingredients (including a half portion of the ham or bacon) except for the bread crumbs, balsamic vinegar and cheese.  Cook on medium heat until flavor comes together and some of the onion begins to caramelize and ham or bacon is cooked through.  This step with the bacon or ham lets the vegetable flavorings go into the meat.

Stuffing Under Way

6-StuffingUnderWay_zps916f62d1.jpg

Mixture Before Lardons & Balsamic

7-MixtureBeforeLardonsampBalsamic_zpsda8

Take other half portion of ham or bacon and separately pan fry until browned or crisp. Mix the lardons with the main stuffing mixture.  This lets the lardon flavor become a separate element.  Hint:  If using ham or Canadian Bacon add a bit of butter or a touch of oil to promote the browning and crisping.

The Lardons

8-TheLardons_zps5d9326db.jpg

Add a good splash of balsamic vinegar to taste.  Remove  stuffing from heat and add sparse amounts at a time of seasoned bread crumbs just enough to add body to the stuffing and contribute a bit of binding.  No need for any egg as the oils and breadcrumbs are sufficient binder.  

Finished Stuffing

9-FinishedStuffing_zpscd68a810.jpg

Spoon the stuffing into the mushroom caps and compress gently.  Place on the grill at 400 degrees indirect for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the stuffed mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown. You can also set them over direct heat as part of the cook near the end for a bit more toasting underneath.  Add a wood chunk too...I used some pecan.

Mushrooms Ready for Grill

10-MushroomsReadyforGrill_zpsf8c1e4d6.jp

GRILLED  SALMON

One large side of salmon filleted with skin on.

The Wild Salmon (1.9 lbs)

11-TheWildSalmon_zps6743ee07.jpg

Marinade & Glaze 

Mix to together the following into a flavorful marinade – adjusting proportion by tasting.   The largest ingredients are the soy and the sesame oil.  Reserve about ¼ of marinade for use at the grill.

• low sodium soy sauce,
  • Sesame oil
  • Vietnamese fish oil,
  • Mirin,
  • powdered ginger (or grated fresh),
  • garlic powder,
  • onion powder ,
  • squirt of Sriracha
  • cane syrup (or rapadura or brown sugar)
  • splash of cooking oil.

For the Marinade

12-FortheMarinade-1_zps9862f585.jpg

More For the Marinade

13-FortheMarinade-2_zpsb37e3503.jpg

The Marinade

14-TheMarinade_zpsc333e958.jpg

Let fish marinate for up to 4 hours in fridge (periodically spooning marinade over the fish)

Just before grilling dust fish lightly on both sides with a Cajun seasoning blend (optional)

Ready for the Grill

15-ReadyfortheGrill_zps593c6b1a.jpg

Use oiled grilling basket or oil the hot grill well to prevent sticking.  I prefer the grilling basket as it makes handling the fish so much easier.  Grill over direct medium heat (350 -375) basting the flesh side with reserved marinade.  Do not over cook.  Maybe 8-10 minutes total depending on thickness.  Alder is a good wood, but this time i used pecan.  Occasional  bits of charring on the fish flesh is desirable.  In other words -  it makes it taste good!

Hint:  For use of in the Kamado, I cut off the long handles on a grilling basket so it would fit inside with the lid shut.

Note:  On this cook I did not use the basket -  and I  wish I had!

Additional Note:  Save the grilled skin and cut it into medium size pieces and fry in hot skillet in its own oil to make “salmon skin crispies”.  Man that tastes super!   This you gotta try.

BLACK RICE

The meal was complemented with black rice prepared according to package directions on the stove top.

Black Rice Package

16-BlackRicePackage_zps02bfda3e.jpg

Black Rice Looks like This

17-BlackRice_zps61268ddb.jpg

SERVE & ENJOY

On the Platter and Ready to Go On The Table

18-ReadytoGoOnTheTable_zps01f2c1e7.jpg

Beautiful Fish & ‘Shrooms

19-BeautifulFishampShrooms_zps8141cb70.j

Yummm!

20-Yummm_zps0d36963b.jpg

I hope this gives you some incentive to grill salmon and/or fix stuffed mushrooms in you Kamado. 

I swim against the flow, apparently. IMO, unless the wild salmon is not one bit fresh, it's sacrilege to treat it thusly. That's the way one treats crappy farmed Atlantic salmon. 

To me, that looks like sockeye salmon. Sockeye salmon flavor is far too delicate to survive such a whammy assault of heavy flavors. That doesn't mean it wasn't good, but I'm just telling you as a Seattle resident who actively seeks out the freshest of sockeyes that you could have treated that fish with more respect and gotten the very best out of it with far less heavy a hand.

In addition, it is massively overcooked. Treat sockeye salmon like a prime rib-eye. If you go beyond medium-rare, you have cooked it too much.

I swim against the flow, apparently. IMO, unless the wild salmon is not one bit fresh, it's sacrilege to treat it thusly. That's the way one treats crappy farmed Atlantic salmon. 

To me, that looks like sockeye salmon. Sockeye salmon flavor is far too delicate to survive such a whammy assault of heavy flavors. That doesn't mean it wasn't good, but I'm just telling you as a Seattle resident who actively seeks out the freshest of sockeyes that you could have treated that fish with more respect and gotten the very best out of it with far less heavy a hand.

Gunzo -  I would be happy to hear what alternative preparations you would suggest that I might consider in a future cook . Got some recipes and cook photos you can share?  

Personally, I would be OK with eating it raw for the best flavor.  

Smokehouse, 

That is one fine cook sir. Your photos and prep paint a picture of a combination of cooking skill and effort. I am impressed. The Salmon in the money shot photos looks to be cooked perfectly with flakey moist flesh, and the sides are just wonderful .  Last time I was in Seattle we stayed for about 6 days and just ate our way through the place with Zagat as our tour guide. I would say that your cook is every bit  comparative to what I was served in some pretty fancy places. Great cook and presentation IMO.  :) I would order your dish if I saw it on a menu. 

Its been ages since I did stuffed mushrooms. Yours look Great! 

I did a some Sockeye Salmon on Labor Day with some pork ribs and almost used the exact same ingredients to marinate my Salmon in, turned out great. Yours looks great too!

I personally like my salmon with a little char on it, exactly like you cooked yours as a matter of fact. But to each his own. Unless I caught it and cleaned it or got it right off the boat, then I season the hell out of that bad boy, your not getting fresh Sockeye in Georgia! Its days old before you get it.  There's a huge difference in fresh caught or fresh off the boat.

I like the Asian spin myself. 

Dave