karacooks

Food Prep: Peeling Garlic

I use a microplane grater to mince my fresh garlic cloves.  

This is like the third time this tip has saved me from nearly buying a garlic press. I was literally going to pull the trigger on one today then saw your post. I need to tattoo this tip on my hand or something because I can't seem to remember it. I just diced up a bunch of garlic for my spaghetti sauce...

Well... a couple of weeks ago I was cooking at my brother's house and needed to peel a large full head of garlic. Time to show off with this trick.   Some advice--just don't have the lid come off the jar or the garlic paper pieces rains around the kitchen like snow and the garlic toes fly into places in the kitchen both known and unknown.  And you brother never lets your hear the end of it.  Especially since it was the last and only head of garlic on hand.

Well... a couple of weeks ago I was cooking at my brother's house and needed to peel a large full head of garlic. Time to show off with this trick. Some advice--just don't have the lid come off the jar or the garlic paper pieces rains around the kitchen like snow and the garlic toes fly into places in the kitchen both known and unknown. And you brother never lets your hear the end of it. Especially since it was the last and only head of garlic on hand.

Now that's a funny story :-)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Test run on Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Garlic was successful.   I forgot to spray plastic wrap with oil and as a result top of loaf stuck to wrap which is why loaf top looks the way it does, and why the loaf is more square.  After removing the stuck wrap, the top collapsed about 1 inch so I gave an extra 10 minutes to proof before baking on my Kamado.   Taste and texture very good.   I think if I were to pair with about 2% rosemary the resulting loaf might be excellent in flavour,  very happy with this test run.  Garlic flavour very good and not overpowering.   Next week my test run will be with Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Onions.

• By JeffieBoy
      We've been needing to cook less food now that the kids have flown the coop.  We got a deal on a half dozen small chickens recently and have filled the freezer.  Last night I decided to prepare a batch of my favourite Buttermilk Brine and slice the backbone out of one of the birds.  The bird and brine went into a large "Ziplock" and into the fridge for about 24 hours.

Got home at 5pm, lit the Akorn, brought it up to about 400 degrees and tossed the little thing onto the heat.  40 minutes later and dinner was ready.  Served with fresh corn on the cob and sliced field tomatoes that I bought from a farm gate on the way home. Perfection on a plate!  Sorry - only one photo for you. 

Buttermilk Brine

• By Smokehowze
      Great Garlic Gadgets 

Our family likes and uses fresh garlic a lot.  I ran across these garlic accessories on a recommendation and bought them to see how they improve on the preparation of the fresh garlic.

Our four person cooking family really likes these tools – they work, are inexpensive, save time and are less muss and fuss in the long run.  Not fancy – just functional.    It might sound silly to have a garlic slicer but it really makes for quick work and uniform beautiful thin slices.  

You might already have these – if not, you should.

OXO Garlic Peeler
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTFV4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23FZK7IUIMNU1&coliid=I96UPQTE3N5YM&psc=1 

OXO Garlic Slicer
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENK40QM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23FZK7IUIMNU1&coliid=ILL3U7OO850PX  

Enjoy!

• By DerHusker
      First let me explain my absence for the last few months. Between my work going crazy, family obligations, Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping and me doing my annual Christmas display, I’ve been extremely busy and away from cooking since the last week of October. This year I synchronized my Christmas display to music. (Via computer software and relay controllers) As this was my first time doing this it took way more time than normal. My display is over 20,000 lights and there are 84 individual circuits that go on and off sync’d up to the music.

Hence my absence from the forum.   
      Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales. (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) The next we’ll do Turkey and last year we did a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well this year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast. My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce.

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)
      1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
      1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
      pinch of cayenne
      2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)  
      2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
      I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Sunday.

Early Saturday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)
      1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
      3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
      2 Tbsp salt
      1 Tbsp black pepper
      OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it set on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I placed my veggies in the drip pan with 1/2 cup of water. (For the gravy)

Set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

Here it is 2 hours into the cook.

While it was cooking, we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 127  I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 2 minutes per side.

And here it is resting on my kitchen counter.

Here is a pic of me slicing it.

Most everyone at the table waiting to dig in.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing "Farking Wheaton Woot Stout" on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to medium it was delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.
      I will be doing this again real soon. (Hopefully to Medium-Rare)
    • By piningforfjords
      First cook on an akorn assembled on Sunday.  Chicken legs at 450 F for 45 minutes with garlic, rosemary, salt and some olive oil.  Never done chicken at that high a temp before. Wanted to try something simple for my initial foray.  At the last moment I realized the grill I was going to use for my indirect heat level wasn't big enough.  I put my pan on the main grill and used the auxiliary rack to hold the legs.  Skin was really good and crispy and insides were perfect.  One thing I liked is I could easily see the progress by looking in the top vent.  Flew blind on this one.  Temperature monitor should be arriving tomorrow.