Chuck Roast vs Brisket

rwalters

I have never smoked a chuck roast, but have smoked a number of briskets (YUM)! Seems that I have seen a number of posts here, and on a couple of other forums, from guys/gals that are smoking 4-5 lb chuck roasts with outstanding results. Some have stopped buying/smoking briskets in favor of chuck, not only for flavor, but much less $$ being that it's not such a huge piece of meat.

Who here has smoked a chuck? Do you treat it just like brisket. Do you go low-n-slow til around 205°? How would you compare it to brisket?

Going to give it a whirl soon :-)

Two totally different beasts. I do chuckies quite often for pulled beef. I don't care for them sliced.

Funny you say that...now that I think about it, the posts that I have seen have been guys pulling rather then slicing. But the comparison to brisket still seems to be a common comment.

Two totally different beasts. I do chuckies quite often for pulled beef.

I'm with Andy on this. I use chuck for either pulled beef or grind it for hamburger. I believe you saw my Pepper Stout Beef (aka Pulled Beef) cook but in case you didn't here is the link.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/10881-pepper-stout-beef-aka-pulled-beef/

Two totally different beasts. I do chuckies quite often for pulled beef.

I'm with Andy on this. I use chuck for either pulled beef or grind it for hamburger. I believe you saw my Pepper Stout Beef (aka Pulled Beef) cook but in case you didn't here is the link.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/10881-pepper-stout-beef-aka-pulled-beef/

Yes, I did see that... an amazing cook!  Between your recipe and Andy's I can't wait to give it a whirl.  Can't believe I haven't done this yet...

Yes, it is different, but a pot roast that is crusted with goodness and served with gravy is hard to beat, and in any form is more pulled than sliced.  So be it; if it's cooked right it stands alone.  When I cook a pot roast, I braise it until it's tender, and then at the end I pour off most of the liquid and let the roast sit in the reserved liquid while it reduces and gives the roast a brown crust.  Then I make gravy in the pan.  I can see this working in a kamado as well.

It's not just that chuck roasts and briskets that are entirely different beasts, you can have two different chuck roasts that are entirely different beasts! Generally speaking, chuck roasts tend to be a bit tough, but have a good beefy flavor. But there's a few chuck roasts that are quite tender. The top blade roast, for example, is the same section that flat iron steaks are cut from. Same goes for chuckeye/mock tender roast (the one that's sorta cone-shaped). These you can treat like oversized steaks and do a slow-roast + finishing sear, serving at an internal temp of around 130F.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two.  I'm not a big fan of smoking chuck roasts low and slow.  I prefer to use chuck for ground beef and sometimes for pot roasts.  I have cooked several chuckies low and slow before and they don't hold a candle to a properly cooked brisket in terms of flavor or texture.  The brisket wins every time.

I agree with most everyone. Brisket is in it's own category.. Chuck and other similar roasts (and even beef short ribs for that matter) are better for braising as they have more connective tissue and less fat. That pulled beef recipe Andy posted has got me very interested in trying that on a chuckie soon though..