Chuck Roast vs Brisket

rwalters

• 7 years later...
On 9/9/2014 at 1:13 AM, rwalters said:

I have never smoked a chuck roast, but have smoked a number of briskets (YUM)! Seems that I have seen a number of posts here, and on a couple of other forums, from guys/gals that are smoking 4-5 lb chuck roasts with outstanding results. Some have stopped buying/smoking briskets in favor of chuck, not only for flavor, but much less $$ being that it's not such a huge piece of meat.

Who here has smoked a chuck? Do you treat it just like brisket. Do you go low-n-slow til around 205°? How would you compare it to brisket?

Going to give it a whirl soon :-)

I am new just got my 590 I tried a chuck roast yesterday turned out ok but it was dry and a little tough
my question is I bought a pellet cook book it says pull roast at 145 on here and YouTube says 195n to 205
I'm confused

I’ve never smoked a chuck roast before, but lots of briskets. Assuming they’re similar, I’d go with the brisket method of low and slow - cooking temp of 225°-250° until internal temp is around 205°. For brisket, in addition to monitoring internal temp, I really rely on probe tenderness. Your probe should slide easily in and out - like going into a jar of peanut butter. I would imagine that the same concern applies to chuck, but others who have actually smoked one may offer better advice.

6 hours ago, jark87 said:

I’ve never smoked a chuck roast before, but lots of briskets. Assuming they’re similar, I’d go with the brisket method of low and slow - cooking temp of 225°-250° until internal temp is around 205°. For brisket Chuck Roast, in addition to monitoring internal temp, I really rely on probe tenderness. Your probe should slide easily in and out - like going into a jar of peanut butter. I would imagine that the same concern applies to chuck, but others who have actually smoked one may offer better advice.

thank you for your suggestion

I would doubt a chuck roast would be very good to eat if it was pulled at 145°, it just wouldn't have time to become tender. Unless you were able to hold a very low cooking temperature and it took a very long time to reach 145°.

On the other hand, I used the sous vide method on my last chuckie. I left it in the water bath for two days at 130°, then dried it off and seared it on the grill. 

It was like a Flintstone steak and medium rare from edge to edge. It ate like a ribeye with a grain. Cut against the grain and it was tender and good. 

I have pondered cooking my next chuckie to 120° on a grill before the water bath to get additional grill flavor. 

Good Luck!